Feedback for MP2 (1 Viewer)

steven123

Portal Member
January 1, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have been using MP1 for a squillion years and have recently tried MP2. I wanted to leave my thoughts and this post seems the best as it was one of the things missing from MP2 that I would have looked to see.

First the Good:
1. It's fast to load!! Compared to MP1, really fast!
2. I like the simplicity of the layout and the installation. It is much easier to setup than MP1 and the general layout is better.
3. I like the fact that series, movies, online videos, etc. is integrated. This makes setup much quicker and also means that a MP update also updates the main plugins.

The cons. (some of these might be just because I couldn't figure out how to work it properly)
1. I use a sceneo remote and from what I can see, this is not supported by default on MP2???
2. I can't find anywhere that allows you to customise the remote buttons and functions like you can on MP1. From what I read on the wiki pages you might have to install IRSS for this, but it also suggested that IRSS is integrated into MP2???
3. You can't use an external player like PowerDVD for blu-rays like in MP1.
4. I'm a geek, so I like to play with every setup possible. Even though it is much easier to set up, it would be nice to have the ability to change anything that you like.
5. Instant skip is only in %, seconds is not an option. (Hence this post)
6. Shift+1 (i.e. !) doesn't show codec, refresh rate info.

One other thing I noticed, but this is just probably me, the colours on the TV guide don't work.

All in all, I thought that it was very good. If it wasn't for the remote issues, I would change from MP1 to MP2.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    4. I'm a geek, so I like to play with every setup possible. Even though it is much easier to set up, it would be nice to have the ability to change anything that you like.
    I understand that and agree. A good software does not need to be confogured, but offers options for those who want to do that. I'm working on that on skin side adn there are already mch more options than before.

One other thing I noticed, but this is just probably me, the colours on the TV guide don't work.
    I'm working on that with @morpheus_xx , but only for WMC skin and perhaps future skins.

6. Shift+1 (i.e. !) doesn't show codec, refresh rate info.
    Why should it? I've never heard about this key combination, but also never used MP1, perhaps that's why.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    Shift+F10
    F10 also is working, exactly the same as Shift + F10. So Shift +1 in MP1 does the same as F10 or Shift F10 in MP2...

1. I use a sceneo remote and from what I can see, this is not supported by default on MP2???
    2. I can't find anywhere that allows you to customise the remote buttons and functions like you can on MP1. From what I read on the wiki pages you might have to install IRSS for this, but it also suggested that IRSS is integrated into MP2???
    Yes IRSS is integrated. But only a receiver plugin so you need to install IRSS and configure your remote in IRSS not in MP2. Don't ask me how to do so because I'm using an original Microsoft MCE (aka RC6) receiver since stone age. This is working in every program and tool without any configuration (excerpt for Kodi where you need to fiddle a bit to get it working)... And I'm pretty sure I never will use anything else as long as I live...

3. You can't use an external player like PowerDVD for blu-rays like in MP1.
    Every now and then someone is asking about this. But as only very few people still are using old fashioned optical disks and because the multiple player architecture in MP2 makes it hard to integrate external players there is no high priority to implement this. Is it possible to use multiple instances of PowerDVD at the same time with full control from the main app (MP2 in this case)??? I don't believe this will be possible with any of the commercial players. Aside many other things we would need to sacrifice the PIP functionality for making external players possible at all. I'm very sure you won't find many user who are willing to loose PIP only to use an outdated media storage type. For BluRay playback you best use a stand- alone BD player. It even is cheaper than a legal copy of PowerDVD

it would be nice to have the ability to change anything that you like.
    You can change much, much more as visible in GUI, if you are brave enough to dive deep into the configuration xml files (found in Program Data folder)... But you also can ruin your whole MP2 setup in no time, if you are doing something stupid here.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also MP2 has not yet intergrated Madvr, which means you can't play a BD3D (.mkv/mvc rips), so you are stuck with those" old fashioned optical disks" and a seperate BD player.:rolleyes:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also MP2 has not yet intergrated Madvr, which means you can't play a BD3D (.mkv/mvc rips), so you are stuck with those" old fashioned optical disks" and a seperate BD player.:rolleyes:
    MP2 can handle *.mk3d since end of 2015, even before the introduction into MP1. MadVR is not needed to play such files.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    so you are stuck with those" old fashioned optical disks" and a seperate BD player.
    I really can't see the benefit in playing optical disks on a (HT)PC. You still need to go to the disk storage shelf, search for the disk you want to play and insert it into the ODD of the HTPC before you can play it. Very old fashioned and very nasty... And what's the advantage inserting the disk into a stand alone player that always will be much easier to get up and running compared to BD playback on a HTPC??? Not even the costs, as stand alone players are less expensive than a BD drive plus commercial software player and/or illegal cracking tools... Aside this a ODD needs big cases for the HTPC. Things like NUC (or smaller) can not hold any ODD at all...

Afaik it also is not integrated in the "official" release of MP1. Any clue why? ;)

Integration of MadVR only is half the way for integrated BD playback. You still need an (at least in most countries) illegal tool to crack the copy protection of the BD on the fly...

I really would love to have MadVR integrated in MP2. Not for playing optical disks (this is something from the last century and nothing I would spent a single thought about) with the BDJ nonsense but for better up-scaling (= picture quality) for SD (I know, also something from last century... ;) ) content. For HD and UHD there is not much difference between EVR and MadVR so here it isn't worth the effort. But SD material really is looking better when using MadVR compared to EVR.

Sadly MadVR is very unflexible related to the functionality of the main app. This makes integration into MP2 nearly impossible. Too much work and too big compromises needed for too little advantage.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 can handle *.mk3d since end of 2015, even before the introduction into MP1. MadVR is not needed to play such files.
    Are you really sure that MP2 can play BD3D .mkv/mvc rips in 3D or does the * on "handle" mean it plays them but only in 2D??? To my knowledge, which I would be more than happy to have corrected, 3D playback in MP2 is confined to the lower quality SBS/TBS 3D formats in conjunction with the Auto3D plugin.

Afaik it also is not integrated in the "official" release of MP1. Any clue why? ;)
    Integrated is probably not the right word, however the use of Madvr has been optional since MP V1.17 which enables the potential of BD3D along with recent LAV filter releases. It is what I use for some of my 3D BD disks that I have "backedup" using Makmkv, works super.;)

Sadly MadVR is very unflexible related to the functionality of the main app. This makes integration into MP2 nearly impossible. Too much work and too big compromises needed for too little advantage.
    Much as I admire the concept and the MP2 product I see the unflexibility the other way round.:sneaky:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    to the lower quality SBS/TBS 3D formats
    This depends on the used format. If you use "Full" SBS or TAB then the quality is the same as MVC. But you're right, normally the "Half" formats are widely used. MP2 can play Full SBS and TAB without issues and external players. Even the whole GUI is in 3D then... It's only a matter of the video source. Imho the "Full" formats aren't really necessary as 3D glasses decreasing the visible picture quality to a really low level, no matter how good the video source is...

And as soon as a usable MVC directshow filter will be available, MP2 will also play MVC with full comfort. I really like LAVF but the implementation of MVC is crappy the best...

But that is not really important at all as nearly no new 3D TV are available at the market. 3D seems to be dead like a dodo. But maybe the next generation of 3D TV will raise on the market in 2019 when Avatar 2 will be released... ;)

I see the unflexibility the other way round.
    You may see it this way, but this is not the point of view most others have. It is "flexible" not allow adding any kind of OSD to the renderer??? So you can not even use mouse control while playing a video with MadVR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom