Few quick noobie questions

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by Nacimroc, April 9, 2008.

1. Nacimroc

Nacimroc Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Ireland Ireland
    Just got myself a HTPC! Installed MP and have it networked to a switch which streams content from my main PC.

1.) I would like to get a remote. Any suggestions on which one to get ?

2.) I am looking to buy a tv card and connect this to MP. Which card is best ? Hauppauge Nova-T 500?

3.) I use sky, and I'm curious about getting the encrypted channells to work? (over my head, most probably)

As I said, complete noobie to MP and any help would be great! Thanks

Nacimroc

PC specs are:

Base
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 processor (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache)
    Memory
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x512]
    Video Card
    128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
    Sound Cards
    Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
    Operating system
    Windows XP SP2 home edition

MP version: V0.2.3.0

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. druffski

druffski Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Hi, Welcome to the forums!!

I can answer 2 of the 3 questions:
    1) I use a Windows Media Center remote. This works quite well, as a lot of the buttons are already mapped. It came with the IR receiver, so once plugged in I had no issues. I picked mine up off ebay for AUD$40.

2) TV tuner card - don't have one yet :( however if you look in the recommended hardware section, there are some good ones listed.

3) Sky tv - do you currently have a Sky settop box to decode the signals? If so, then you should be able to port this through your tv tuner card. You could have the tuner card set to one signal (ie Sky box signal), then use the Sky settop box to change channels. Media Portal would just use the one channel.

If you don't receive Sky, but have the cable/satellite in place, it can possibly be done. However best not answered in these forums. I know for me I had to buy a special plug and install some decrypting software. Honestly more trouble than its worth :) so I didn't bother.

4. Paranoid Delusion
    • Team MediaPortal

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!