Few quick noobie questions (1 Viewer)

Nacimroc

Portal Member
March 27, 2007
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Just got myself a HTPC! Installed MP and have it networked to a switch which streams content from my main PC.

1.) I would like to get a remote. Any suggestions on which one to get ?

2.) I am looking to buy a tv card and connect this to MP. Which card is best ? Hauppauge Nova-T 500?

3.) I use sky, and I'm curious about getting the encrypted channells to work? (over my head, most probably)

As I said, complete noobie to MP and any help would be great! Thanks

Nacimroc

PC specs are:

Base
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 processor (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache)
Memory
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x512]
Video Card
128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
Sound Cards
Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
Operating system
Windows XP SP2 home edition

MP version: V0.2.3.0

druffski

Portal Member
May 2, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Hi, Welcome to the forums!!

I can answer 2 of the 3 questions:
1) I use a Windows Media Center remote. This works quite well, as a lot of the buttons are already mapped. It came with the IR receiver, so once plugged in I had no issues. I picked mine up off ebay for AUD$40.

2) TV tuner card - don't have one yet :( however if you look in the recommended hardware section, there are some good ones listed.

3) Sky tv - do you currently have a Sky settop box to decode the signals? If so, then you should be able to port this through your tv tuner card. You could have the tuner card set to one signal (ie Sky box signal), then use the Sky settop box to change channels. Media Portal would just use the one channel.

If you don't receive Sky, but have the cable/satellite in place, it can possibly be done. However best not answered in these forums. I know for me I had to buy a special plug and install some decrypting software. Honestly more trouble than its worth :) so I didn't bother.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom