FFdecsa (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
1) Is anyone currently working on (or finished) implementing this? If so I'd like to chat with you. Please PM me and maybe we can meet on IRC.

2) Would the powers that be (i.e. Frodo :) ) be willing to have support for this added? It is basically a different (faster) SoftCSA and OpenSource (GNU License).

Agree

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2005
    CodeMonkey said:
    1) Is anyone currently working on (or finished) implementing this? If so I'd like to chat with you. Please PM me and maybe we can meet on IRC.

2) Would the powers that be (i.e. Frodo :) ) be willing to have support for this added? It is basically a different (faster) SoftCSA and OpenSource (GNU License).

Everytime u use the CSA in a software product with no license for CSA u have a illegal software.

Z

Zoidberg

Why don't you do the same like with SoftCSA? Just add the possibility to use a dll. This time the FFdeCSA.dll.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Agree said:
    Everytime u use the CSA in a software product with no license for CSA u have a illegal software.

I hear you Agree. However from what I read, SoftCSA support was removed because of the authors request to do so. FFdeCSA being licensed under GNU would not have this issue. I guess I'm looking for a ruling from Frodo as to whether the whole concept is taboo as far as MP is concerned, or just SoftCSA in particular.

Nicodemuz

Portal Member
    January 10, 2005
    Agree said:
    CodeMonkey said:

Wrong.
    That depends on the laws that defines "illegal", and laws vary from country to country and time to time.
    Are the laws absolutely right? No, they only state the opinion of a dictator or the opinion of the majority of people in a democracy (or rather the opinion of the selected representatives).
    As the opinion changes the laws will, and thus will "right" and "wrong" change.

For example the U.S, how many people cannot vote due to convictions to current law? And how many realistic options do they have to place their votes on? One democrat and one republican? But these brilliant minds with no funds from companies and organisations? Who would fund something that would decrase profit and spare environment? Of course people will vote on the lesser bad, but is it real democracy? Is the laws under one of these rulings always absolutely right? Are everything black and white?

Basically I can build and use any patented or otherwise protected technical solution, as long I don't sell it. But that is the laws of my country, maybe yours differ?
    The laws of my country protects the owner of the design rights so it doesn't loose deals to competitive companies that copied the design.
    But the laws also allows for technical improvements made by other by allowing reverse engineering and allowing building others designs.

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    I don't think we can convince any developer to include softcsa/ffdecsa support if they are not in to it. Badgering them about it does defineltly not help. Since csa decryption might considered illegal (no need for that discussion as it could go on forever) i can't see any reason to blame the developers for not including new csa decryption plugins. Not everyone get as lucky as the decss guys.

Perhaps we might be able to see support if the plugin would provide other features than cardsharing. I mean like softcsa could be used with plugins that provided epg data etc. Until then i guess we'll just have to lay low.

Who knows, since mp is open source perhaps someone provides us with a patched version with softcsa/ffdecsa support. Stranger things have happened :wink:

/Peter

gds

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2004
    Italy
    What's sad about all this is the only possible conclusion: development of this (and many other) GPLed projects is slowed, when not stopped completely, when going in some (dangerous...) directions by legal issues. And since the developers are skilled programmers but they are no lawyers, when venturing into legal moving sands they must take more care than it could be necessary.
    That's why someone (guess who?) funded SCO in its legal battle to spread FUD over Linux.
    And that's why Videolan thought about stopping development of VLC if software patents law were approved in Europe.
    And (you'll find it incredible, maybe), guess who's told to be planning to include a DVD ripper in its next OS? Someone answered M$??? But wasn't it supposed to be illegal?
    So my humble idea is that we need a lawyer, be it a willing individual or an association working for Open Source projects. Maybe it could help the developers decide better knowingly where to head and where to stop.
    Can anybody help finding the right answer?

Nicodemuz

Portal Member
    January 10, 2005
    lugiber said:
    I don't think we can convince any developer to include softcsa/ffdecsa support if they are not in to it.

I can accept that.
    Since MP is open-source I can add it myself which is legal in my case.

But I felt I needed to respond to a false comment. It isn't as simple as Agree suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom