ffdshow upscaling dvds (1 Viewer)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
Anyone know how to upscale DVDs using ffdshow, i'm keen to try and upscale my dvds to 720p, just curious if anyone does this already and is it a simple process to do it?
Also if someone has done it can they post screenshots of the ffdshow settings to help me configure mine?
Thanks

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
NightmareRambo77 said:
Anyone know how to upscale DVDs using ffdshow, i'm keen to try and upscale my dvds to 720p, just curious if anyone does this already and is it a simple process to do it?
Also if someone has done it can they post screenshots of the ffdshow settings to help me configure mine?
Thanks

I the KING of Video Upscaling can help you (i'm really that good).

1. Get THIS version of FFdshow from this site. http://dvd.box.sk/ddivx.soft.link.php?rid=8270
Don't not use any of those 2006 versions or the one from sourceforge.
I'm current using the 2005-11-15 and I can upscaling video beyound 1920 x 1080.

2. unistall any current version of 'show you have (unless you already have 2005-11-15)
3. intall the download
4. after install, find the folder in ALL PROGRAMS that contains the FFDshow files.
5. choose video decoder Config.
6. Ffdshow Properties screen should popup. on the left hand side (under the ffdshow tab) scroll down until you see (RESIZE AND ASPECT SETTINGS). Check that box. Now move to the right hand side. Under the SPECIFY SIZE, enter your new figure (1280 x 720).
Now move to the right hand side of that and choose RESIZE ALWAYS.
Move down to the ASPECT RATIO section
Choose (KEEP ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO).
Now Press APPLY.

If you want to enhance the image a little more than you can go back to the left and move down one and chose the Settings option. It is right below resize & aspect Settings.
Move to the right of Settings. In the Method options choose Lanczos. Next to that (Parameter) choose 4 (playaround with the numbers to see which give you betting quality). (note the Higher the settings the more strain is put on your cpu)

Under Luma Sharpen choose a number (see what is best for you)
Under Chroma Sharpen .. Do the same thing.
Now press apply.

Now go to Media portal setup.
Under DVD (expand it first), choose DVD post Processing. Move to the right and choose ENABLE FFDSHOW POST PROCESSING.

YOU ARE DONE.

Now ffdshow performance depends on your cpu. On my Xp2400 (2.0 ghz) 1 gig mem.. I am upscaling video to 1920 x 1280 with Lanczos Parameter set at 2 and Luma and chroma sharpen at 1.00

I learn ffdshow by spending a lot of time playing around with different values and settings.

MrMartin

Portal Member
October 27, 2005
kevon27 said:
NightmareRambo77 said:
Thanks

1. Get THIS version of FFdshow from this site. http://dvd.box.sk/ddivx.soft.link.php?rid=8270

2. unistall any current version of 'show you have (unless you already have 2005-11-15)
3. intall the download
4. after install, find the folder in ALL PROGRAMS that contains the FFDshow files.
6. Ffdshow Properties screen should popup. on the left hand side (under the ffdshow tab) scroll down until you see (RESIZE AND ASPECT SETTINGS). Check that box. Now move to the right hand side. Under the SPECIFY SIZE, enter your new figure (1280 x 720).
Now Press APPLY.

If you want to enhance the image a little more than you can go back to the left and move down one and chose the Settings option. It is right below resize & aspect Settings.
Move to the right of Settings. In the Method options choose Lanczos. Next to that (Parameter) choose 4 (playaround with the numbers to see which give you betting quality). (note the Higher the settings the more strain is put on your cpu)

Now press apply.

Under DVD (expand it first), choose DVD post Processing. Move to the right and choose ENABLE FFDSHOW POST PROCESSING.

YOU ARE DONE.

Now ffdshow performance depends on your cpu. On my Xp2400 (2.0 ghz) 1 gig mem.. I am upscaling video to 1920 x 1280 with Lanczos Parameter set at 2 and Luma and chroma sharpen at 1.00

I learn ffdshow by spending a lot of time playing around with different values and settings.

Hello kevon27

I currently use ffdshow-20051129.exe from http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow made by milan_cutka.

I wonder if the version you are using is getting better performance?
I havent tried it and i dont want to reinstall if im not sure its better.
Im using a P4 3.0Ghz and i cannot upscale more than 1280x720 cuz i get heavy stutters with lanchoz 2 or higher.

Would be very nice if someone who has tested both versions can comment any differences.

Thanks a lot

Martin[/url]

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    kevon27 (AKA Video Upscaling King) - I woulld like to know your setup: Motherboard, CPU, Memory, HD, Video card, OS and what TV you are connecting to and how. Also what codecs are you using and what are your drivers (video, etc.).

Mike

kevon27

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2006
    MrMartin said:
    kevon27 said:
    NightmareRambo77 said:
    Thanks

3. intall the download
    Now Press APPLY.

Now press apply.

YOU ARE DONE.

Hello kevon27

I currently use ffdshow-20051129.exe from http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow made by milan_cutka.

I wonder if the version you are using is getting better performance?
    I havent tried it and i dont want to reinstall if im not sure its better.
    Im using a P4 3.0Ghz and i cannot upscale more than 1280x720 cuz i get heavy stutters with lanchoz 2 or higher.

Would be very nice if someone who has tested both versions can comment any differences.

Thanks a lot

Martin[/url]

This is the problem, ALL version off FFdshow is NOT made by the same person(s).
    I have tried a lot of versions and it seems that the 2005-11-15 version seems to be very stable and would allow you to upscale much higher.

I used a 2006 version and I could not upscale video beyond 720 x 480 with Lanchoz filtering and sharpen turned on. But the 2005-11-15 would allow me to run at much hight resolutions with enchancements (sharpening and Lanchoz) turned on.

kevon27

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2006
    mzemina said:
    kevon27 (AKA Video Upscaling King) - I woulld like to know your setup: Motherboard, CPU, Memory, HD, Video card, OS and what TV you are connecting to and how. Also what codecs are you using and what are your drivers (video, etc.).

Mike

MY setup is very basic.

Epox Nf2 motherboard - Nvidia drivers 5.11

1 gig ram (running at ddr 266 no overclocking)

Athlon xp 2400-- 2ghz (no overclocking)

Video card.. ATi Radeon 9500 pro (no overclocking)-- Ati drivers from 5-10-2005

Sound card - VIA Envy 24- Most current drivers

Windows Xp Pro. All current Patches. All .NET upgrades

Codecs - Descaler Mpeg codec and FFdshow

TV - Philips 30inch 16/9 CRT- Connection via Component

All Upscaling test are done using my NEC 19 monitor.

Tuner Card. Hauppauge pvr-150

4 Hard drivers totaling about 600 gigs or more

Paul Mathews

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2005
    NorthPole
    How do i know hen FFDSHOW is runnign when playing a video or DVD.

I tak eit the icons in the taskbar always appear. Just trying to upsale some DVDS and Videos on my 720p,180i 86cm HD TV.

Thanks.

Ive followed this guide but iam not sure its working or not. What resolution do i put in the left side. Do i just leave that at 640by480. A more detailed help is needed with Picys :)

Thanks.

opusnut

Portal Pro
    February 22, 2006
    I have been having the sam problem not being able to get ffdshow to function on DVDs. Although this seems to be the case ONLY when i use the MPV decoder. Everyother decoder i try lets ffdshow function. When i checked the graph hile using MPV, it has placed the ffdshow filter i the graph but has not connected it to anything.

thanx.
    opusnut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom