ffdshow Upscaling on Lower Resolution Movies Only (1 Viewer)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK. I got it working last thing last night. This is where it gets strange:

I thought I would try another MPEG2 codec to see if that would allow ffdshow to load. I set Nvidia Purevideo codec as MPEG2 one inside MP>config>Television. Changed the profile condition to the same codec in the 'Television resize profile: and it worked. ffdshow was activated when watching Prime, but NOT for the FreeviewHD channels. I could only get this to work with watching the recorded TV channel, NOT whilst watching it live. But that is not really an issue; as I very rarely watch LiveTV: usually always from recordings.

There was major interlace tearing, so I set Deinterlace to 'TomsMoComp'. And that fixed the issue. Then went to bed.

Have rechecked this morning, & all is well: well, sort of. I have noticed that the active profile is the 'Video Resize' one. I had mis-set the deinterlacing filter active in that profile, not the 'Television Resize' one. You can see this is confirmed in the second image.

mpprimeactivatingffdsho.jpg

As you can see, the Deinterlace is set but this is the 'Video Resize' profile, as shown below:confused:

mpprimeactivatedffdshow.jpg

mpprimeactivatingffdsho.jpg

You can see I had not set the Deinterlace filter active in the 'Television Resize' profile, but ffdshow has still be loaded in Graphedit using the 'Video Resize' profile:confused::confused::confused::confused: Also, in images 1 & 3 I had covered the fact that the Cyberlink decoder being loaded in Graphedit was CyberLink Video/SP BD-HD Decoder (PDVD7.x), NOT CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7). Man, this is very frustrating:mad:

One final thing: how crucial is the exact wording inside ffdshow profile's area? Because, as you can see, there is a mis-match of bracket styles & I don't have those brackets' type on my system: even in the character map.

cyberlinkdecodermismatc.jpg

Again, thanks: how long did it take you to work out the ffdshow profiles' area?

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    1. The "video resize" preset, shouldn't autoload with MPEG2 and/or a previous filter. This means you have set another condition in addition to"on fourcc match: xvid;dvix). Scroll down, and you should untick everything else. Also check if you have set a condition in the "Default" preset. It should remain empty as I said before, so that the programs defaults to that if no other conditions are met.

2.The exact wording is crucial, but the brackets are simple parentheses () from what I see. Don't copy the filter name from MP configuration but from right clicking ffdshow video (the red icon) in the tray area and copy the filter's exact name from there.

Every system has it's quirks. It took me about 20 minutes from what I remember, but I wasn't using Cyberlink's decoder. If I was in your place I would really go with the CoreAVC option. It's cutting edge tech, it allows for any filter to load after that WITH hardware acceleration. It's worth every penny. And it's suitable for your needs as I see, since you need to load ffdshow after that filter, but conditionally.
    In fact it has made me consider to exchange my ATI4670 with a 9500GT for that reason alone

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    CoreAVC are codecs I have looked at before, but because it didn't support hardware acceleration I bought the package. Have just gone back & looked at it again. It still states that there is no GPU support for the Professional Edition (it is to be added). Are you saying this is incorrect? And that you CAN get hardware acceleration whilst watching HD movies?

Also, could there be any chance my limitations could be from the ffdshow version itself? I am using version rev_2754_20090310_clsid.exe. What version are you using?

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes CoreAVC supports CUDA acceleration since 1.9 (currently on 1.9.5). Download the trial and see for yourself. It worked great with a spare 8400gs I got laying around.

And no, it's improbable but you can always test. Different versions are optimized for different systems, but you never know. As you can see in my system I use ffdshow beta6.

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Downloaded CoreAVC, installed it & updated graphics drivers for CUDA support. I get a green screen when changing TV channels, so won't worry about it at this stage.

Also, tried the beta 6 version of ffdshow & same issue.

To be honest: I will probably leave it at that, for now. As stated, I rarely watch live TV & it's all good on resizing from prerecords. Need to let my hair grow back:D

Will now work on tweaking the settings. I think I will ask the mods to shift this to support, as it's really in the wrong place. Again: thanks a heap.

Just one final thing: is there a really good ffdshow site which has tweaks settings? Or did you just learn off the WIKI?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom