Files and folders of TV recordings deleted without cause? (1 Viewer)

deepskydiver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    At first it was a single recording , but overnight a folder complete with contents of 10 odd recordings has vanished. I don't think you can even delete a folder without deleting its contents can you?

Any insight on how this may have happened and what to try diagnostically to find out more or prevent it?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi deepskydiver

I take it you haven't enabled recording disk quotas or use the keep until feature? If not, some TV Server logs would be helpful to see what is going on.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip up the tv.log file and post it here.

mm

deepskydiver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the quick reply - I've uploaded a zip with the logs that have been touched in the last couple of days.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

So it seems there are quite a number of instances of recordings being deleted in those logs. Do you know which of the following are the ones that you are not happy about:
    - Last Man Standing
    - ABC News
    - Major League Baseball
    - Media Watch
    - Bored To Death
    - Two & A Half Men
    - ABC News Breakfast
    - Green Zone
    - The Bachelor

... or is it all of them?

mm

deepskydiver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    None of them actually! The unexpectedly deleted programmes were Rage (many recordings in a folder) and Downton Abbey (just one episode a few days ago).

For Rage I keep the last 10 but there is no setting on disk quota or keep until, no. That one folder disappeared overnight.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Looking back to the older logs I can see schedules for Downton Abbey, but no deleting.
    rage is a different story. I can the 10 rage recordings that you mentioned being deleted one by one - the folder gets deleted with the last one.
    TV Server seems to think these recordings are invalid... which means that it thinks that the files no longer exist on disk. I'm not particularly familiar with this code but to me it seems like this could only occur if the filename in the database doesn't match the filename on disk. The files on disk are named like:
    C:\MP\TV\rage\rage - SE -_***.ts

... where *** is a number from 1 to 10. Is it possible that the underscore masks a character that can't be used in a filename?

mm

deepskydiver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmm - well there's no post processing I'm aware of other than commskip. So from your reading it looks like the files (recordings) were deleted by someone or were there some left subsequently considered invalid? I'll have to present it delicately to my partner. She's happier to blame the technology.. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

So from your reading it looks like the files (recordings) were deleted by someone or were there some left subsequently considered invalid?
    TV Server deleted them - I'm reasonably sure about that. To reiterate what I tried to explain above, my suspicion is that it considered the recordings invalid because the recording file name in the TV Server database (TV Server keeps recording details) didn't match the name of the file on disk.

So any ideas about the filename or recording name - are you able to copy and paste your series and recording naming patterns here?

mm

deepskydiver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So any ideas about the filename or recording name - are you able to copy and paste your series and recording naming patterns here?
    mm

Thanks for your help on this - it's all out-of-the-box standard I believe as I've made no customisations. I record every occurrence of 'Rage' on one channel. What file / log would identify the recording naming patterns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom