Filter Packs Question (1 Viewer)

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
November 28, 2005
I have a question about Filter Packs.

Basically I was wondering why they aren't recommended, according to the Requirements list on this site and what Codecs are recommended to play files like AVI's, Divx's, WMV's, MOV's and especially in particular the infamous OGM's and MKV's...

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Usually they contain more than what you need and tend to disrupt the standard codecs.

Off the top of my head

Divx
    Xvid
    Real Alternative
    Quicktime Alternative
    Mpeg2 codecs (Nvidia, Intervideo, etc)
    AVI<->AC3 Filter

Should cover most but Im not sure about OGM/MKV as Ive never seen/used them.

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
    November 28, 2005
    MKV and OGM formats are ones that have certain advantages in that they let you select options such as switching between Japanese and English voices or having subtitles on and off but they're not popular amongst a lot of people as they can't be played on DVD players if burnt to DVD.

http://www.matroska.org/ - Matroska Official Site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGM - Wikipedia Entry on OGM

As for the MPEG2 Codecs, I take it you get those with the drivers for the graphics card?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    They may be included with the graphics card driver yes, probably a Intervideo WinDVD 6 (or 5 if its older). Media Portal does come with freeware mpeg2 codecs but they arent the best for everyone so your own supplied ones can be used if you have a preference.

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
    November 28, 2005
    Callifo, you mentioned that Codecs usually come with programs like WinDVD6 but I take it you don't have to use the actual program itself if you just want to use the Codecs from them?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    No. Installing the program just installs the codecs at the same time, and MP uses those codecs. If you can manage to install the codecs without the program then that should be fine (unless codecs are hardcoded to only work when the program is registered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom