Firefly remote as X10 in RC3 (1 Viewer)

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
Hi folks -

First, thanks to all of those who did all the great work on getting RC3 together.

Now for my needy user bit :)

I used to use InputDeviceMapper to work this but its not supported any more under RC3, so I was pointed to the new (to me anyway) X10 Remote page in the Config app when I asked about using my Firefly remote with RC3.

I've played with this and have gotten to the point where most everything works, except I have to hit every key twice on the remote to have the software respond. I've used every combination of the snapstream and standard driver recommended on the config page, as well as switched between the 3 models listed.

When I take a look in the log, I'm getting a couple of lines about Could not find registry entries for driver componets! (Not Installed?) under the Load Settings:Remote line.

I'm muddling through my old InputDeviceMapper xml file, figuring out what shows up from the FireFly remote in X10 terms... (The Exit button returns INPUT on the x10 list) Is there any way to do some learn built in here that I'm missing?

Thanks again for your work, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

PS. Figured out the ACTION_KEY_PRESSED thing... how do I represent F7?

EDIT: Deleted stuffs as I figured out how that Other X10 config window worked.

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
Figured most of this out.

Got the keys mapped up on my remote, but still having to press every button twice. Which is just plain weird.

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
captainspanky said:
Figured most of this out.

Got the keys mapped up on my remote, but still having to press every button twice. Which is just plain weird.

Driver thing as it turns out. You really DON'T want to use the x10 driver linked on the x10 remote page for the Firefly.

After installing it, got the double button press behavior described above. Messed around until I ended up removing everything, re-downloading the drivers only from Snapstream, ran the install, and plugged back in the receiver. No more double button thing.

Still can't seem to get the thing to accept letters or keystrokes. It appears you use the ASCII value for the letter in the key value field. This works for the numbers on the remote, but doesn't work for letters. Have no idea what to do about Function keys...

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
So you say that the original Firefly drivers do work with our X10 support in RC3? Important/interesting for us to know...

If you like I can bake a mapping profile for the Firefly remotes. Pls contact CoolHammer, he tells you what I need for creating a mapping list.

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
mPod said:
So you say that the original Firefly drivers do work with our X10 support in RC3? Important/interesting for us to know...

That was what I saw. I was pretty much all over with trying different combinations of drivers. Ended up as I described.

The Firefly is bizarre with the codes it sends from the buttons. (Hitting Info gives you the CMD_BOOKMARK, for example) I had to use the old InputDeviceManager profile / app to figure out exactly what each button was sending. I have a pretty good one set up there now.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the OSD up on fullscreen video/tv. This is done by hitting the 'u' button (if i'm remembering correctly here at work). I've put it the ASCII number for that button as an ACTION_KEY_PRESSED to no effect and have tried a number of Windows that have OSD in them. Is there some kind of Event for toggling the OSD that I'm missing?

If I can get this one done, I'll post the .xml here or wherever for folks to have a look at.

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
Hey Efros -

This is what I've got going on my system... got sorted out in another thread.

Drop me a PM if it works for you if you could. If someone will confirm it works, I'll post it up in the tips section so other people can find it.

captainspanky said:
http://www.geocities.com/diablomadman/MediaPortal_Firefly_Keys.log
http://www.geocities.com/diablomadman/firefly.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/diablomadman/Other_X10.xml

For any other Firefly users out there who want to use my Firefly setup until mPod does his thing, you can

1. grab the Other_X10.xml file, put it into Mediaportal\InputDeviceMappings\Custom,

2. Rename the file so that its Other X10.xml (remove the "_"... geocities wo't allow spaces and i'm too lazy to find another webspace when this is handy)

3. Go to the X10 Remote tab from the Remote section of the configuration / Setup Mediaportal utility and choose the 'other' radio button.

4. Ok to save and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom