Firefox Mashup for MP1 (Mouse users only) (1 Viewer)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
United States of America United States of America
There is a way of running Firefox from within MP1 that may be of interest. It can be used by WorldWeather to display Browser Maps, as well as being used as a general browser.

It's uses the Opera Mobile Launcher plugin, two Firefox plugins, and one Windows 7 utility.

Assuming you have Firefox installed --

1. Install Opera Mobile Launcher: (the emulator portion is not needed)
Copy and paste a link to the Firefox executable into the OML config instead of using the browse function. (The browse function will not allow selecting an arbitrary executable, but copy/paste works.)

2. Configure WorldWeather to use Opera Mobile Launcher

3. Start it up though MP. Drag it onto your HDTV and maximize.
At this point, you should have a working Firefox when you run MP, fully suitable for WorldWeather

4. Install 2 Firefox plugins: "noSquint" to enlarge web-sites, and "Theme Font and Size Changer" to enlarge Firefox's text.
Configure to your taste and needs.
At this point, you'll have a suitable "view-only" Firefox for general surfing. No keyboard.

5. Download and install an on-screen keyboard. I find "Click-N-Type" works well. (Better than MP's keyboard, in fact.) Configure it to hide when not in use. There are several hiding choices. There are several "keyboards" to choose from, or you can make your own. Note that this software suffers from the same problems as MP does, with regard to HDMI disconnections, so whatever you do to solve MP will also solve Click-N-Type.

Also, you may not have 2 instances of Firefox running at the same time, as far as I know, and moving it from one screen to the other regularly is too much hassle, so you'll need to run IE, Chrome, or something else from the PC's monitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hauppauge HVR-1265 -- does it work with MP1? MediaPortal 1 Talk 1
ajs MP2Web - MP1 compatibility MediaPortal 1 20
T MadVR + LAV Filters, Perfect in MPC-BE, Bad in MP1 MediaPortal 1 Talk 13
P MP2: US user, OTA - can NOT get SchedulesDirect plugin to work on MP1 or MP2 --> how do I get OTA schedule? General 5
framug [solved] Some changes/fix in MP1 configuration client and server Submit: code patches (MediaPortal/TV-Server/etc.) 14
S TV-Server MP1 - Automatic search doesn't work Installation, configuration support 2
C Streaming/transcoding MP2 vs MP1? General 4
ajs [fixed] 5015: Improving the MP1 installer, providing nicer GUI :) MediaPortal 1 138
C Streaming to clients over Wifi. MP1 or MP2? Newcomers Forum 0
S Shortcuts MP1 My Recorded & TV Guide General 10
azzuro [WiP] MP1-4999 - Big changes with many related change at once by Sebastiii MediaPortal 1 12
ajs [Help Us!] MP1 X64 Version MediaPortal 1 20
joecrow How about a Launcher plugin for MP1? MediaPortal 1 6
wizard123 [solved] MP1 Build help MediaPortal 1 21
ajs [News] MediaPortal 1 - 1.24 Released! News and Announcements 3
CyberSimian [fixed] MP1-4990 : Improve horizontal scrolling in the EPG MediaPortal 1 10
azzuro [WiP] MP1-5019: Replace MySQL with MariaDB MediaPortal 1 40
catalpa Umsteiger von MP1: Schwierigkeiten Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 17
CyberSimian [solved] MP1-4976 Built-in skin variables for current date MediaPortal 1 8
rbo [solved] Umsteiger MP1 zu MP2 Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 67
azzuro [Info] MP2 TVE inside MP1 repo MediaPortal 2 12
G MP1 TV Server "failed to upgrade the database" using MS Sql Server Installation, configuration support 3
lisag Can I get MP1 to open in the Recorded TV screen? MediaPortal 1 Talk 2
M MP1 stops responding after Starting Plugins General Support 14
R Problem with MP1 and WifiRemote Skins and Plugins Installer (MPEI) 8