[solved] Firewall issues under Windows 10 (MP 1.15) (1 Viewer)

paulot

Portal Member
January 16, 2017
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi. I'm looking for Firewall info for MP 1.15 / 1.16Pre under Windows 10 (I found a thread here for Win 7 and 8 but it does not seem to apply to W10).

My issue is: My MP 1.15 setup server+client works fine on a Windows 10 machine. I also have 3 other machines (Windows 7 and 10) set up as clients, both Ethernet and Wifi. When I click on "Test connection" to the server from a client, the connection is successful. However, the client streams live and recorded TV only if I disable the firewall on the server PC. Turning on or off the firewall on the client machines has no effect. In fact, until I disable the server firewall, only the background graphic of the MP skin appears on the client machine and MP is unresponsive.

The attached log is from a 1.16 Pre client, though two other machines with 1.15 have the same behaviour.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

Something is wrong with the configuration file:
    [2017-01-16 19:39:47,043] [Error ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - Unable to create/modify gentle.config The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config' because it is being used by another process., at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    Did you configure/Verify the TV conenction in the MP Configuration? Check it there and if it goes to green, close the dialogue with OK.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Rename the file manually in Explorer. Then open the Configuration again and Connect TV. Then try again.

You could also use a working copy from one of the other clients if everything else fails.

paulot

Portal Member
    January 16, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    None of the three clients can get past the server firewall, so it does not appear to be a corrupt config file.

paulot

Portal Member
    January 16, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I renamed gentle.config, re-ran config and re-started MP. Still unable to connect, even though the server shows green and connection 'successful' in the client config interface.

Given that the client works fine with the server firewall turned off, are there any firewall rules I can add to allow connections to the server, the database and other MP components?

paulot

Portal Member
    January 16, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks. The 3306 port was being dropped by the firewall. Here is how I added it manually, for anyone also encountering this problem:

1. Control panel, Windows Firewall
    2. Advanced Settings
    3. Inbound rules
    4. New rule, select 'Port', then Next
    5. Select 'TCP'
    6. Select 'Specific local ports', and in the box, add the port(s) that are being blocked.
    7. Specify the network type the rule applies to (Private, Public or Domain - usually Private).
    8. Name the rule something you will remember, then Save and exit.
    9. Make sure the rule is enabled.

Which port number to add? In my setup it is 3306, though it might vary by installation. To find out the port number that needs to be added, you can turn on firewall logging, and look for dropped TCP packets in the log file after you have tried unsuccessfully to connect a client MediaPortal. There are videos on Youtube to help you turn on firewall logging (and remember to turn it off afterwards.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom