Firewire capture (1 Viewer)

SwiTek

Portal Member
August 25, 2005
In your head ...
I'm looking into firewire capture support as I'm writing this.
I'v found some good example code I think for capturing via firewire.
The thing is, I'd like to build in firewire capture support so I can capture video from my camera.
The thing I haven't worked out yet is how i can control my camera from the code. I can control my camera from the app that was supplied with it, as well as windows movie maker, so I should be able to control it from my code (rew, ff, play, pause, stop).

If anyone has any ideas on this, let me know.

Thanks

SwiTek

Portal Member
August 25, 2005
In your head ...
Ok, figured out it should be possible by using MCI, but how?
Using MCI you can control your media peripherals, like open/close your cd drive, ...
It also supports vcr, but i can't find any example, or explanation or howto :x

Anyone got a lot of experience with MCI???

Thanks

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    SwiTek said:
    Ok, figured out it should be possible by using MCI, but how?
    Using MCI you can control your media peripherals, like open/close your cd drive, ...
    It also supports vcr, but i can't find any example, or explanation or howto :x

Anyone got a lot of experience with MCI???

Thanks

I used to work for MCI, but then they were purchased by Verizon. <grin>

Mike

SwiTek

Portal Member
    August 25, 2005
    In your head ...
    Forget MCI :D

Ok, forget the MCI stuff, I figured out how it's done properly :D

By using the IAMExtTransport interface from DirectShow.
    Which is already implemented in AxExtend.cs.

If you want more info on the tech details of how you can control your cam using this interface, here's an MSDN Link.

By the way, this plugin, if all goes well, can also be used to capture from a usb webcam.

Any suggestions concerning a name for this pluggin? MyCam ??

Just keeping you up to speed :D

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes - still (although had 9 months when I was laid off last year and without work, when it was MCI) at Verizon. IT in Tulsa is tough market, many layoffs over last 2-3 years.

Note if we talk anymore on this off-topic subject we should move it or take it offline with email or some other electronic medium or move to another appropriate area. :oops: My fault for getting us off topic. Sorry.

Mike

BrandonG777

June 23, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Ok I have a bit of a janky setup but I'm trying to use my existing hardware instead of buying more crap.

I have a Motorola cable box I'm trying to control via the motorola plugin. I'm guessing that will but haven't tested it yet.

This is my biggest problem, I have a ADS Tech box that connects via firewire and converts analog to digital/digital to analog. I would like to be able to plug in my cable box via s-video cable to this ADS Tech box and capture via firewire.

I want to do it like this because I have an old 2ghz Dell laptop that is an absolute piece of junk. It has everything I need to make a good MediaPortal system except one thing. It doesn't have USB2.0 so trying to use a capture device using USB1.1 isn't really an option.

I messed around with it in GraphEdit but I really have no clue on what I'm doing there. I got it to render the pins but I wasn't sure if or how to map them in the xml file. If that would work I'm thinking thats the simplest solution but I still need help.

The ADS Tech box is actually called Pyro A/V. Here is a link:
    http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555

If someone could help me with this I would REALLY appreciate it.

ynohtna

December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK just bought an HDTV tuner from my cable company... still wishing to use the PC and learned recently about firewire control as being possible for these STBs! Cool stuff!

Looks like some software have support for it now, how's it looking these days for Mediaportal? :)

Dado

Portal Pro
    April 10, 2006
    Italy
    MyDVDevices

Hi all,
    I'm very interested in this plugin from some months and I've develop something that make a capture to a file from a DV camera.

I attach some samples of GraphEdit (one use Nero, one use 3ivx for MP4, one capture to uncompressed AVI and one capture to AVI).....but I would like to compress the DV signal to MPEG with a Open Source or Freeware encoder.. ;) so the file can be re-used in MediaPortal for compression or for burning it to DVD ;) ;)

Unfortunately I have few experience to use GraphEdit, but starting from Graphedit schema / file I can run it from MediaPortal with DirectShowLib...

To control the camcorder with C# code you can try to use the following link (it works for me!): http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...wmencode/htm/controllingadigitaldevicecsh.asp

I attach my "alpha" version (not completely working!!) of the MyDVDevices plugin that use WMEncoder libraries (skin is only BlueTwo Wide...).

To use it just install MS Windows Media Encoder 9, then copy MyDVDevices.dll, Interop.WMDEVICECONTROLLib.dll, Interop.WMEncoderLib.dll and Interop.WMPREVIEWLib.dll under plugins\windows\ folder of MP, then copy file MyDVDevices.xml to \skin\bluetwo wide\ folder of MP. At this point copy the file DV2File.wme to C:\ root (this file is the main profile for WMEncoder: you can open it, change it and re-save it for your device or for your options; sw only configure the filename for output)...

...but this plugin is very unstable and to start encoder it may takes about two minutes (I don't know why...)... on my PC it works sometimes...but unfortunately it NOT use MPEG2 :(

If you want you can change the plugin as you want!... perhaps something can make it works!!

Good luck and many thanks...!
    Dado

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom