First Post... Questions (1 Viewer)

Joshua_boston

May 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

I just upgraded to windows 10 (no more Media Center).

I am looking for a program just to watch OTA TV. I use a system that I built back in the day to run our TV. (Q6600, Abit IP35 Pro mobo, 1 TB HD, AMD R9 270 GPU). I use a mini keyboard to run the TV.

I got MediaPortal 2 running on Windows 7 before I did the upgrade...after the upgrade to windows 10, it did not work. So I installed MediaPortal 1 in Windows 10 (could have reinstalled MediaPortal 2 if I wanted).

Here are my questions...

1. Do either mediaportal programs give you better reception with your antenna. I ask this because I though MediaPortal2 had better TV reception and picked up more channels then MediaPortal1. I thought it skipped much less, but maybe this is in my mind. This will be the deciding factor to which program I use.

Thanks for the answers.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. Do either program give you better reception with your antenna. I ask this because I though MediaPortal2 had better reception and picked up more channels then MediaPortal1. But maybe this is in my mind. This will be the deciding factor to which program I use.
    The TV engine is the same in MP1 and MP2, there shouldn't be any difference.

Joshua_boston

May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    THANKS...

OK, I will stick with MediaPortal 1 unless you think there is an advantage to MediaPortal 2. Or should I say... which do you prefer?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    just to watch OTA TV.

To be honest. If this really is true, I would answer to
    which do you prefer?

"None of them."

Both MP1 and MP2 are MediaCenter software that you really don't need for only watching TV. It's like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Something specialized like DVB- Viewer or the software provided with your tuner card most likely is fitting better to your use case than such a huge and maybe complicated software with thousands of options and usage scenarios...

Joshua_boston

May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi.
    just to watch OTA TV.

To be honest. If this really is true, I would answer to
    which do you prefer?

"None of them."

Both MP1 and MP2 are MediaCenter software that you really don't need for only watching TV. It's like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Something specialized like DVB- Viewer or the software provided with your tuner card most likely is fitting better to your use case than such a huge and maybe complicated software with thousands of options and usage scenarios...

Now you tell me!!!!

Software that came with my tuner is obsolete.

I have already set up my mediaportal

Don't see the big deal.

May check out DVB-Viewer

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    DVBViewer might not be the best solution for the US. In the opposite to Europe where you have the EPG via satellite, you would have to use something else to get the EPG. DVBViewer is not really able to work with external EPG sources. That's one reason why I use MePo here in the states and DVBViewer in Germany (DVBViewer has the more stable internet streaming possibilities, just my opinion).
    If it's only free OTA, stick with MePo ( which one is on you :love: ) .
    Edit:
    Plus, install the online video plugin and you have a complete new world of possibilities, LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom