First time set up, having issues scanning channels with HDHomeRun Prime (1 Viewer)

not_null

July 17, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can get live TV working in the HDHomeRun QuickTV program so I know the tuner and CableCARD are all working fine. I've read the configuration wiki but I'm not clear on whether I should be marking these 3 tuners as CAM enabled. I've tried to scan the channels both ways and it still isn't working. It's my understanding that I should be scanning as "Digital Cable" for the Tuning mode, but I've also tried the other two options with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

Thanks for the log files - they really help to help you. (y)

I've read the configuration wiki but I'm not clear on whether I should be marking these 3 tuners as CAM enabled.
    If you have a CableCARD then yes you should. As it says here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC#Tuner_Configuration

It's my understanding that I should be scanning as "Digital Cable" for the Tuning mode
    Correct.

The log files show this when you scan "digital cable":
    [2014-07-16 19:31:01,329] [Log ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scanning digital cable, out-of-band service information
    [2014-07-16 19:32:06,690] [Log ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scan summary, new TV = 0, updated TV = 0, new radio = 0, updated radio = 0

...which tells me TV Server is not receiving the lineup info from your tuner/CableCARD... which in turn tells me that you probably have a firewall blocking TV Server from receiving that information. Please configure your firewall to give TV Server full access to your your network.

The log file also tells me you haven't increased the SDT/VCT timeout as recommended in the wiki. Please do that as well to avoid further issues (channels missing, named "Unknown...").

If everything is working correctly that "scanning out-of-band information" message should show for between 1 and 5 minutes (depends on configuration and varies from scan to scan too), then you should see the new channel number start to count up quickly, then it should be done.

mm

not_null

July 17, 2014
    Home Country
    Edit: I posted my update before I saw your response mm1352000, I will test that and report back.

Of course, immediately after I posted that I rebooted my computer and I scanned them as Digital Cable with CAM enabled and it is listing the channels, even though the scan reported 0 total and new channels.

When I go in to turn on the TV it is saying "No free card available" which I'm guessing is because the channels aren't mapped to cards. When I go into the mapping there are still no channels available to map under the tuners. I'm attaching an updated log dump just for good measure.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Of course, immediately after I posted that I rebooted my computer and I scanned them as Digital Cable with CAM enabled and it is listing the channels, even though the scan reported 0 total and new channels.
    Those channels were created by the SchedulesDirect plugin. They could make trouble for you. I'd recommend disabling that plugin, deleting the channels it created, scanning again until you get it right, then reenabling the SD plugin.

When I go in to turn on the TV it is saying "No free card available" which I'm guessing is because the channels aren't mapped to cards.
    Yes... and/or the channels are encrypted and the tuners aren't configured with CAM enabled.

When I go into the mapping there are still no channels available to map under the tuners.
    That's because SD has created analog channels, which can't be used by CableCARD tuners. It isn't possible to map channels to tuners unless the channel type matches the tuner type.

not_null

July 17, 2014
    Home Country
    I appreciate these very fast responses!

On the firewall part, I'm just running the built in firewall in Windows 8.1 and the default security on the Comcast modem/router. The modem shows:
    Allow (LAN-to-WAN): all
    Blocked: IDS enabled & IDENT (port 113)

In the Windows Firewall I have Media Center Extenders, MediaPortal, and MediaPortal Configuration listed twice all marked with full access but I'm not seeing anything that specifically says TV Server (edit: I did find "SetupTv" and give that full access too). I'm also running PIA VPN but I've disconnected that for now.

As far as the server configuration, I've disabled the SchedulesDirect plugin and deleted all channels that it had added. I also changed the SDT/VCT timeout to 200 seconds and confirmed that CAM is enabled. After all that is is still saying "out-of-band service information... signal locked, no channels found" and returning 0/0 channels. One note, I am scanning on all 3 tuners at the same time, and I do have the HDHomeRun QuickTV up watching TV while it was scanning. I'm going to reboot and try it again without HDHomeRun QuickTV open. Fresh logs attached for good measure.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The problem will almost certainly be the Windows firewall, not the Comcast router. Should be easy to check by temporarily disabling that firewall and seeing that it changes the scan results.

In the Windows Firewall I have Media Center Extenders, MediaPortal, and MediaPortal Configuration listed twice all marked with full access but I'm not seeing anything that specifically says TV Server. I'm also running PIA VPN but I've disconnected that for now.
    There is a MediaPortal (MediaPortal.exe), MediaPortal configuration (Configuration.exe), TV Server service/background-process (TVService.exe) and TV Server configuration (SetupTv.exe). TVService.exe is the main one to get right for TV Server. SetupTv also needs [limited] access in order to communicate with TVService.exe (communication between MediaPortal/TV Server exes uses the network adaptor, even when they all run on the same PC).

After all that is is still saying "out-of-band service information... signal locked, no channels found" and returning 0/0 channels.
    Still the firewall problem as mentioned above.

One note, I am scanning on all 3 tuners at the same time, and I do have the HDHomeRun QuickTV up watching TV while it was scanning. I'm going to reboot and try it again without HDHomeRun QuickTV open.
    Technically it is unnecessary to scan with more than one tuner, though I don't think it would do any harm. Once you've scanned one tuner you'll find it's actually faster to map/link those channels to the other two tuners than scan them individually.

From a TV Server scanning perspective it shouldn't matter that you're watching live TV in QuickTV... though live TV and recording are another story. You'd have to stop QuickTV that if you wanted to use live TV or record with MediaPortal.

not_null

July 17, 2014
    Home Country
    Excellent, thanks for the help. I disabled the firewall and scanned again and it looks like it's working now but there are still a few unknown channels. Also, any advice on getting the channel numbers to match the Comcast channel numbers? Looks like I can manually edit them all but an automatic way to do it would be nice.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but there are still a few unknown channels.
    Hmmm, how many? Logs would be interesting.

Also, any advice on getting the channel numbers to match the Comcast channel numbers?
    They should already match automatically.
    Where are you looking or what are you doing to cause you to think they don't match?
    I note that you probably want to untick the select channel by index option here in MediaPortal configuration:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Configuration/22_TV/TV_Client#Channel_numbers

not_null

July 17, 2014
    Home Country
    Hmmm, how many? Logs would be interesting.

Just a few channels, just looking at the first page or two I see 28, 34, 42, 106, 121. The logs are attached.

I note that you probably want to untick the select channel by index option here in MediaPortal configuration:

Good call, I didn't have that unticked, they are now showing up with the correct numbers but not sorted by channel number. I did reenable ScheduleDirect though, that may be part of the issue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom