Fix hangups and smoother playback by changing pci latency (1 Viewer)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Utility to set PCI Latency and possibly prevent game stutter
    or improve FPS and reduce live tv/movie stuttering.

This tweak is an important one, and one well worth checking into. Apparently, newer high-end video cards hog PCI latency for no known reason. This makes other components wait for access and causes stutters and thus lower frame rates. If you adjust the latency this might benefit you, users are reporting big improvements.

You can download this small utility program that allows you set your PCI latency. Adjust the PCI latency from for example 248 to 64, and there's a very good chance of stutter free performance & sound.

STEP 1. open the pci latency tool
    STEP 2. Rightclick on your graphics card and click change setting(s)
    STEP 3. change to desired setting and hit ok
    Step 4. click settings and select apply at startup so it has a tick next to it
    STEP 5. click settings and select save so everything you have just done is saved
    STEP 6. right click on your video card and click quickset latency (if you want to set it straight away).

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

more info here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?&threadid=121190

and here:
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7533

frodo

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Just a note that this tool does not support PCI-E at the moment

A PCI bus shares it bandwidth amongst all devices, hence the need for this tweak. PCI-E doesn't have the same restriction so even if you were able to change the latency it would have no noticable effect.

mickb

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    Travelling Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    stutter in TV playback

Great to see the feedback and advice offered to problems on the forums. I have installed the the M$ patches recommended by Frodo (which improved my TV playback) and have checked the PCI Latency, it was set to 32, but still have a problem with stuttering when watching live TV or recorded programs. No problems when playing Divx files.

It is not as bad as it was before I loaded the M$ patches, but is probably the major fault I have had. It also seems to get worse the longer the HTPC is on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

:D

Thanks Mick

S

spockware

Re: stutter in TV playback

mickb said:
    Great to see the feedback and advice offered to problems on the forums. I have installed the the M$ patches recommended by Frodo (which improved my TV playback) and have checked the PCI Latency, it was set to 32, but still have a problem with stuttering when watching live TV or recorded programs. No problems when playing Divx files.

It is not as bad as it was before I loaded the M$ patches, but is probably the major fault I have had. It also seems to get worse the longer the HTPC is on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

:D

Thanks Mick

Your videocard might be overheating if it gets worse the longer the HTPC is on. Try running with the case cover off for the same amount of time to get good airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom