FIX: Microsoft Security essentials blocking RTMP links (no url, Prebuffering failed) (1 Viewer)

xmamx

Portal Member
June 10, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hopefully this helps someone, I was getting a message in the Onlinevideos.log advising 'Prebuffering failed' and I was also getting 'no url' messages when trying to view videos also, but my other computer could view them fine. I read in another online videos forum entry that someone uninstalled microsoft security essentials and then it worked. Therefore I disabled realtime scanning and it finally worked. With a bit of playing I didnt have to uninstall microsoft security essentials and I got it working.

Here is the fix (you dont need to turn off realtime scanning):
Open Microsoft security essentials
Goto "SETTINGS"
goto "Excluded processes"
Click on browse and find your "Mediaportal.exe" file (usually in C:\program files (x86)\Team mediaportal\mediaportal) select it and add.

I also added MP4 and FLV to the "Excluded file types" setting (not sure if this is required, but It cant hurt to much).

Cheers,
Xmamx :)

PreacherAT

Portal Member
September 17, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
WOW, you just saved me about a day of troubleshooting and de-/reinstalling stuff. (y) I had the problem, that when I started a video, it would take ages until the ".0% buffering" message appeared and then it got stuck until I quit Media Portal (maybe it would have stopped itself, but I didn't have the patience ;) ). Also, I already had this problem several times before, somehow it was fixable by doing complete reinstalls of Media Portal.

After trying out your fix, all the online videos that made problems ran smoothly again. So thank you very much and this tip should definitely be made more prominent.

Matt Kirby

Portal Member
June 14, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks!!!!! I've had this problem for ages, tried tweaking codecs, reinstalling, everything!

I now have BBC iPlayer back!

schrej

Portal Pro
January 31, 2007
Hi,
wouldn't it make sense to put that into Wiki?
Joerg
Hopefully this helps someone, I was getting a message in the Onlinevideos.log advising 'Prebuffering failed' and I was also getting 'no url' messages when trying to view videos also, but my other computer could view them fine. I read in another online videos forum entry that someone uninstalled microsoft security essentials and then it worked. Therefore I disabled realtime scanning and it finally worked. With a bit of playing I didnt have to uninstall microsoft security essentials and I got it working.

Goto "SETTINGS"
Click on browse and find your "Mediaportal.exe" file (usually in C:\program files (x86)\Team mediaportal\mediaportal) select it and add.

I also added MP4 and FLV to the "Excluded file types" setting (not sure if this is required, but It cant hurt to much).

Cheers,

pilotedge

Portal Pro
February 19, 2008
Home Country
Thank you for that! I did first try updating SAF and reinstalling the plugin, then found this.
For added info, I am running the dredded Windows 8, and I added the exclude process to Windows Defender to cure the problem.

nabster

Portal Member
March 20, 2008
Leicester
Home Country

Goto "SETTINGS"

Cheers,

This recently started happening to me with latest MP upgrade and this fixed worked a treat and I now have my Iplayer back so big thanks.

PS Like above user I am running win 8 with windows defender.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom