For The Record - The rule-based scheduling suite (2 Viewers)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Standby support is high on our list and is coming soon, but we already wanted to release what we had, alas without standby support yes.

Integration with MP is already fairly good I'd say, with the notable exception of missing Live TV. Some users will find this a problem, but many don't use Live TV all that often (if ever) and just want a reliable and powerful recording/playback system. The next release of For The Record will add an option to the MediaPortal client to replace MP's "My TV" for an even better integration.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, I don't agree with Paranoid Delusion.
    There are many MP users who run a dedicated server/TV server which runs 24/7, and who use client HTPC's for watching tv/recordings/music etc.
    For those people both TV Scheduler and For the Record are absolutly the dogs bollucs, both are excelent programs.
    It would be very difficult for me to go back to a MP experience without these additional programs.

dvdfreak, a 10+ for these excelent programs.

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i guess nobody really wants to say that 4TheRecord is bad. It's a great peace of software.
    I do agree with Paranoid Delusion because there are also a lot of people who run a single seat configuration.

I'm using PVRS to handle all my standby issues, because for some strange reason this is the only program the works really fine. Since 4TheRecord does not use mps internal scheduler it is not possible to use pvrs for me anymore.
    Thats a big drawback for me, since it's not only standby related (clickfinder integration, tv browser, ... ) and you can't use comskip.
    The next big issue for me is the seperation of my records. If i had used mp to record i have to use a different menu than in 4TR.
    I know that this is all planned and i can see the advantages in your way, but wouldn't it be possible for 4TR to use the internal scheduler for recording ?
    4TR could synch with the scheduler (recording table) and read and write recording tasks to it. The complete priority handling and other things could stay in 4TR the only thing that would have to be changed is that it writes upcoming recordings into the scheduler.
    That way users would still be able to use pvsr, comskip and all the other tools that are available for mp.
    Maybe this can be added as a second MP recorder ??

Thanks for your effort

Joe

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    We completely bypassed MP's internal scheduler for a reason, it was not done to annoy anyone ;)

MP scheduler has no support for priorities, so even if we wanted to use MP's internal scheduler we'd only create a schedule a few seconds before it should begin recording, and that would also mean: no standby support.

I know everyone always wants everything at once ;), but give us some time to implement comskip (and general post-processing) support and automatic standby. We're only two people, we're doing this in our spare time and above all we're doing it free.

Our motto is simple: stability and reliability should always come before features :)

So we'll add a lot of these extra things yes, but above all we will try to keep the system as stable as we can.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We're only two people, we're doing this in our spare time and above all we're doing it free.

Yep, know all about that, so it is appreciated for your work already done, for someone with a running pc\server thats switched on 24\7, this IS a must have.

Just needed to point out to any newcomers to your software, that is not suitable for what i consider normal daily pvr use, ie standby\resume for recording TV, because neither of us want to be blamed for failed recordings :(

Regards

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Basically we all agree, which is good :D

Standby support will be added soon!

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2005
    Nordborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Yah the reason for me not wanting to use 4TR is the lack of standby/resume and proper intergration with My TV mostly, and it is also a bit the lack og support for comskip. I do want (as others has stated) te bo able to install 4TR with out my wife knowing more or less, and sdtby and intergrations are the most importen things. But besides that it does look absulute briliant.

Just a question.

Recordings done with i.e. DVB dream, will they show up in 4TR mp plugin (My TV in the futhere)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    A little less than a month after the first release we have just released version 1.2.0.0 of For The Record:

After version 1.1 was released you asked us for comskip support.

Version 1.2 gives you full post-processing support so you can not only plug in comskip on your recordings, but anything you can think of :D

After version 1.1 was released you asked us for standby support for single-seat systems.

Version 1.2 gives you full standby support with wake-on-LAN so you can not only use standby on a single-seat system, but just as well on a multi-seat system :D

After version 1.1 was released you told us you prefer TV Server as recorder/tuner.

Version 1.2 gives you improved support for TV Server and now supports recording multiple channels on the same card if the transponder matches (and the card's decrypt-limit allows it) :D

After version 1.1 was released you told us your wife got confused with having a My TV screen and a For The Record screen.

Version 1.2 gives you an improved Wife Acceptance Factor: The MediaPortal UI plugin now has an option to replace the standard "My TV" screens :D

And there's more, like a new keep setting to keep number of recordings (ideal for recording the two most recent news broadcasts e.g.), the ability to change keep settings for already recorded programs and standard support for the popular Indigo and Monochrome skins.

A more complete list of changes can be found on the For The Record forum.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I am a big fan of the previous version that was called TvScheduler. Still using it.

Main reasons for not converting to this new ForTheRecord is the fact that the schedules and recordings are not integrated with the normal TV plugin. A main requirement from my side is live TV. In other words I can not replace the standard My TV screens.

Would be nice if I could continue to use the existing My TV and have ForTheRecord interface the schedules back to TV Server which will handle recordings. The TVGuide and Scheduler part of My TV can be replaced with ForTheRecord, but i would prefer the rest to stay as is.

1. Possible?
    2. Anyone else with the same requirements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom