For The Record - The rule-based scheduling suite (2 Viewers)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Live TV is on the roadmap, I know a lot if people would consider this the finishing touch. But I can't give an ETA yet...

There was simply no way to keep the same way of working as TV Scheduler regarding the schedules since unlike TV Scheduler For The Record does its own card allocation and conflict management since the standard MediaPortal scheduler was just too limited in this respect.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Main reasons for not converting to this new ForTheRecord is the fact that the schedules and recordings are not integrated with the normal TV plugin. A main requirement from my side is live TV. In other words I can not replace the standard My TV screens.

Which for me makes 4therecord next to useless, if you cannot access live TV, only recordings.

Can i also point out, that for me, when i uninstalled 4therecord, MP's own recording via powerscheduler has ceased working, which i'm still endeavouring to find the cause.

Just love the power of 4therecord scheduling abilities, but still consider it to be insufficient for daily use on a htpc, just not enough integration.

Regards

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2005
    Nordborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    See i actualy thought that when you chose "replace My TV" that it would only replace the buttons that 4TR had, the rest of them would still be there, so that live TV would still be possible (using TVE) offcurse. I realy need live TV too, as i only can access the sat channels using the computer (MP)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Well, first there was whining about missing standby support, and when that was added now it's about missing Live TV :)

Considering all the work that was put in to For The Record it would have been a little nicer to read about the things it is good at. Like it being built on a decent architecture making it a solid and reliable product. Like it's perfect multiseat capabilities. Like...

Let's not forget the reason I started development of For The Record was because the MediaPortal scheduler was totally useless to me, I found the total lack of priority support and the weak and confusing conflict management disappointing. Coupled with the constant stability issues (certainly at that time), for me this made it an insufficient solution for a PVR setup. Did I whine about that? No, I did something constructive.

The result so far is a totally free solution you can all use, and even without live TV you can run it as a complement to MediaPortal, keep it's existing live TV and run For The Record in its own screens. The option to replace the standard My TV screens has been added on request of users who specifically told me they don't need Live TV, so if you do, simply don't replace the screens (yet). It's optional after all.

Also consider that not a single bug has been reported for version 1.2 yet. Does this mean it's totally bug free, no of course not. But it does show that whatever bugs that are still hiding must be rather minor, providing users with a rock-solid PVR solution.

Live TV will be added down the road, but when we add something we want to do it right. We aim to add things that work as they should, keeping the whole product as stable as we can. Since it's of course always nicer to get some positive comments, let me quote some feedback I got back from one of the testers a few weeks ago:

Standby works like a charm since yesterday. Had no single issue relating to it. Even standby with remote works now, with Powerscheduler there was no wakeup for record, with this solution it works for me. Two big thumps up! ;-)

Now this is what keeps someone working totally for free on a product...

I'll get off my soapbox now :D Y'all have a nice day.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I am sorry that I started the whining-live-tv-snowball. It was not my intention to sound negative or to whine. All I wanted to establish was if there are other users as well with the same requirements as me. My intention was to hopefully gather information that you may use to allow a more diverse user-group to use your excellent product.

Hence my suggestion and question:
    Would be nice if I could continue to use the existing My TV and have ForTheRecord interface the schedules back to TV Server which will handle recordings. The TVGuide and Scheduler part of My TV can be replaced with ForTheRecord, but i would prefer the rest to stay as is.

1. Possible?

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2005
    Nordborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Sorry if i sounded like i was having a whinge. I very happy with what you have made, and when i do get home i will try 1.2 (just no replace my TV then i can still watch live TV). But i do really love the TV scheduler and i use it for all my recordings and i'm really impressed by the lack of bugs :)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I am sorry that I started the whining-live-tv-snowball. It was not my intention to sound negative or to whine. All I wanted to establish was if there are other users as well with the same requirements as me. My intention was to hopefully gather information that you may use to allow a more diverse user-group to use your excellent product.

Hence my suggestion and question:
    Would be nice if I could continue to use the existing My TV and have ForTheRecord interface the schedules back to TV Server which will handle recordings. The TVGuide and Scheduler part of My TV can be replaced with ForTheRecord, but i would prefer the rest to stay as is.

1. Possible?

This is definitely (at least more or less) the direction we are moving into, yes :) In short: the replacement of My TV will be more "complete" including Live TV, which in the end is what we all want, right :D

Sorry for getting on my soapbox, but if you've worked hard on something it's not really cool to read somebody call in "next to useless".

Bussiebaer

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At the 4TR-Forum is a tip how to configure MCE-Buttons, to access the 4TR-Guide and Recorded TV:
    Configure remote button to activate MP plugin

Maybe that is a compromise between integration and livetv for someone.

Edit: Installed the Webaccess over weekend, just used it an hour ago to schedule a TV-show from work. :) Great!

Tjodleik

Portal Member
    August 10, 2006
    Multiple servers?
    I am one of those guys with a dedicated TVserver, or, I got two of them.
    That is 3 card over 2 mashines.
    Sinse MP is not handling multiple servers for now, can you do the schedulign to include an other server if there is no free cards to record from?
    I meen, if the recording is going to be missed anyway, it's better to try to record it on an other server, then just dropping it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom