Freesat Setup (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes - nobody seems to have implemented a temperature controlled fan on a GT220 board yet.....

Errr, above link in my post, refers to speed\heat related onboard fan controller on the palit 220, you have to seriously stress the card to get the fan to run full speed according to the review, and even then it's very quiet, normal\low use, either fan does not run at all (using 7watts idle) or 60watts max gaming, with video decoding in the low to midrange area, using low fan spin speeds.

A quote from Guru3D on the above card

Where do I see a market for a card like this ? Well, generic Windows 7 and Vista usage with Aero enabled and on the HTPC side of things, the card might be interesting as it's cheap, silent and does come with NVIDIA's VP2 video processor, meaning you can accelerate and post process High Definition content. And it is exactly here where the product will shine, as for very little money you can utilize the 48 shader processor cores for post processing in software like Media Player Classis Home theater edition.

So sure, the user base will be very small for the GT220 series, but if it applies to you then Palit might have a nice offering for you. Palit designed a very stable graphics card but most of all, it's really silent. The GeForce GT 220 Sonic Edition sells roughly for just over 60~70 USD which will need to come down towards 50 USD and then, if you are not into serious gaming, it might be the card for you.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK, I stand corrected :) (although I can't find the info in the review you linked to, it is mentioned here)

Now all I need to find is a quiet low-profile GT220 (so it will fit in my HTPC)....ECS do a quiet low-profile version but it doesn't seem to be available here....

Tony

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Look to the Zotac Zone Edition cards - Passive 220 & 240s...
    I'm currently trying to source a supplier. I'll speak to mine to see if they can get them in...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've been aware of the ASUS card for a while, but I've seen various comments that it's quite noisy (there's several GT220 threads over on the AVSForum).

The Zotac Zone cards look nice, but they are full height and double width so are totally useless for my low-profile case....

I'll sit on the fence for few months until there's more choice :)

Tony

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    I've got an intergrated Geforce 8200 and not had any problems with HD H.264 channels, plays BBC HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD perfectly. Can even play 1080i BluRay all on my 4200+.

For nVidia 2xx series, you need a minimum of a GT220 to get pixel-adaptive de-interlacing for HD. The G210/GT220/GT240 all have the latest video decoding unit and support 8-channel PCM sound over HDMI.

Tony

According to nVidia the 210 does support all the same video enhancements the rest of the 2xx series does.

NVIDIA Geforce 210

Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gainward 210 would fit the bill nicely, half height and passively cooled. £35 + Del

Gainward GeForce G210 512MB DDR2 HDMI DVI VGA Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi wonkyd

The main difference between the 210 and the 220 is the later can be used in conjunction with the cpu for processing, this is ideal if you encode your own dvd's\BluRay rips to h.264 for storage on a server, there are some other advantages, but for me that would be the main one.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi wonkyd

The main difference between the 210 and the 220 is the later can be used in conjunction with the cpu for processing, this is ideal if you encode your own dvd's\BluRay rips to h.264 for storage on a server, there are some other advantages, but for me that would be the main one.

I only use my HTPC for watching/listening. It doesn't get used to encode, my laptop does that overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom