Fresh Install advice (1 Viewer)

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Hello folks,

MP hasn't been 'right' since I upgraded to 1.2.3 - I suspect something got corrupted during the upgrade; and now my Media PC has been hit with a nasty zbot virus that has gone around corrupting lots of things. So I am going to 'bite the bullet' and wipe the OS partition and reinstall windows (probably try 64bit this time as well).
I was just wondering if anybody has any tips as to how best to reinstall MP, ideally without having to rebuild my moving pictures and TV-Series databases - does Backup Settings cover these as well?
As this is the first time I will be attempting this, if you have any tips that might help me then I would be most grateful to hear them.

Thanks

Philip

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Backup setting do work as I recall, but I'd suggest you copy the database & thumbs files independently. I did same (although not a reinstall of OS) in moving from MP1.2.3 to MP1.3 Alpha on test box and it was 100% perfect:) - if your databases are corrupt however, you've a different problem.

Also, depending on your network speed (I was on slow slow Internet access) I always down loaded plugins & skins for install locally via MPIE:).

Move to 64 bit is generally recommended - allows more RAM in the machine, and if your using it for TV, using RAM as RAM disk for time shift buffer is good option:)

Good luck with rebuild & re-install - suggest you look at MP1.3 Alpha - if the plugin's you need are supported, even as a Alpha, it rocks!-)

TTTFN - JCMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom