Fresh Install, Unable to complete Setup for TV Server. Host Unable to Connect (1 Viewer)

Sayajin

Portal Member
October 6, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I have searched the Wiki and the forum however was unable to find an answer for my setup problem. I assume it is something simple so I wanted to post here to ask.

I am updating from an older version of MP with a fresh install of the current version on my Windows 7 HTPC. On my previous install I did not install the TV Client/Server however I decided that I wanted to do so this time around. I did a straightforward one click install however during the install where the "Setup Database Connection" dialog pops up, I am unable to proceed. I currently have MySQL56 installed on my PC and have been using it for years with no issues. As such, the installer did not install MySQL onto my PC. When I follow the directions in the prompt and select My SQL as the database type and then hit the "Test" button at the bottom, I get the error "Connection Failed. Host -(my pc name) is not allowed to connect to this MySQL Server" I have tried the default password of MediaPortal as well as the current MySQL password that I have been using and neither work.

I figured maybe I did something wrong at the install so I tried installing a fresh copy again only to have the same error. I can only assume I am doing something wrong as I cant even complete the basic install and setup, let alone use the TV Server.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have included the installation log for reference and there was no data in any of the other TV Server Logs. Thanks.

-Sayajin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I currently have MySQL56 installed on my PC and have been using it for years with no issues. As such, the installer did not install MySQL onto my PC. When I follow the directions in the prompt and select My SQL as the database type and then hit the "Test" button at the bottom, I get the error "Connection Failed. Host -(my pc name) is not allowed to connect to this MySQL Server" I have tried the default password of MediaPortal as well as the current MySQL password that I have been using and neither work.

If you want to use a pre-existing install of MySQL that was not installed by MP then you will need to create a MySQL user for MP to use. The default username and password only work when MP installs MySQL.

These instructions with screenshots might help:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/install-fails-with-mysql-exception.126169/#post-1084386

Regards,
    mm

Sayajin

Portal Member
    October 6, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you very much! This worked like a charm to fix the problem! I was unaware that I needed to create a new user and as such I was trying to use the current "root" account.

I really appreciate the help!

-Sayajin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom