From single-seat to multi-seat - reuse existing hardware (1 Viewer)

sebbl

Portal Member
March 12, 2008
During the last weeks I kept thinking about "reanimating" my MP system and move from a single-seat to a multi-seat installation. I chatted with Lyfesaver about this in IRC, but I thought I should open a new thread here to discuss my remaining questions :)

So here is my situation: the hardware of my singleseat is some years already, but I'd like to use the some of the parts in my new setup, if possible. Here is what I have right now:

Motherboard: GigabyteGA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: Athlon X2 BE-2350, 45W TDP
RAM: 1GB DDR2 800Mhz (used to have 2GB, but one bar died)
DVB-S: WinTV Nova S Plus
DVB-S2: SkyStar HD2

As mentioned earlier I'd like to have a dedicated TV server and separate clients (1 for now, more in the future). I'd also like to stream content to mobile devices (HP Touchpad, etc), so the server needs to be powerful enough to transcode the media (using MPExtended).

After talking to Lyfesaver this was the current status:

Client:
Motherboard: GigabyteGA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: Athlon X2 BE-2350, 45W TDP
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz (adding 1GB)
(+ optional) GPU: HD5450 passive

Server:
Motherboard: "some Z68-Board"
CPU: "some" i3
RAM: 4GB
DVB-S: WinTV Nova S Plus
DVB-S2: SkyStar HD2

So as you can see there is some stuff left to discuss ;)
My question basically is if you guys think this is a good solution and if yes, what you would suggest as mobo & cpu combination for the server.
Also, if you think there is a better / cheaper / ... solution, you are more than welcome to post it ;)

Thanks in advance for your comments and again, thanks to Lyfesaver for the help in IRC!

gekas

sebbl

Portal Member
March 12, 2008
After some more reading I found the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3.

Regarding the CPU I was wondering if the i3 2120T (2,6GHz, 35W TDP) makes sense or if I need one with 65W TDP and 3,x GHz.

Callumgw

Portal Pro
June 2, 2008
Home Country
Hi there,
I was wondering how you got on with this set up? I'm looking to move the TV service out of the lounge room and onto the server in the study. The main reason is to keep the lounge simple to use, allow for the "issues" of HDMI piracy protection (always messes things up when something in the chain it switched off), serve two clients and allow simpler record scheduling. So mine would need to run a Hauppage Hvr1300 and Hd500 and I was thinking of keeping it in the HP Proliant ML110 box (microAtx). The server also supplies SqueezeboxServer, NAS functions and torrent client. At the moment this is a linux box, but would obviously have to become a windows machine.....

So how did your setup work out?

C

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom