Fun Feature Request: Twitter (1 Viewer)

pzycho

Portal Member
March 14, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey guys, I know you have much bigger priorities with this plugin than something as silly as this, but I think it would be great fun if the Moving Pictures could twitter with the beginning and end of each movie. Something like "Pzycho has started watching Being There." and "Pzycho finished watching Being There."

Is anyone else interested in something like this or am I the only one?

From what I've read about the twitter API, if you have cURL installed on you system, the command is as simple as:

Code:
curl -u username:password -d status="your message here" http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json

Now I'm not familiar with how this code for this plugin works, so I could by way off, but I just thought I'd mention the idea anyway.

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had plans for a plugin similar to your request. This could be a first step into it (I am not using twitter, but it would be a start for others ... The solution I have in mind goes a little more for privacy and "friends only").

But I would want such a plugin to work in all areas of MediaPortal, not only Moving Pictures.

The problem I see is, that if the plugin hooks to the g_player events we would only have the filename, not a "pretty name". I don't know if there is a possibility to get this. (The best way I could imagine would be to extend MediaPortal that it takes the pretty name with the player start command. Or is this already the case? Couldn't find something like this in the source ... ) And I suppose we do not want something like "pzycho has started watching Being_There_CD1.mkv".

If someone has a hint how to best solve the above problem I will give this a try ;) Would be a nice excercise to start programming plugins!

gshipley

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2008
    From what I remember, the movie name is available.

Keep in mind that setting the status is only a small part of a feature like this. You also have to code some type of configuration interface to allow people to set their username etc. You would also need to fail gracefully if a network connection is not available instead of blocking while trying to connect to twiiter.

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From what I remember, the movie name is available.
    Where and how? ;)
    I went (superficially) over the MediaPortal and Moving Pictures source code.
    Moving Pictures sets the movie name and details as properties for the skin after playback was started, and in the MediaPortal classes which I suppose are responsible for playing back media the only parameter is the filename/folder.

Keep in mind that setting the status is only a small part of a feature like this. You also have to code some type of configuration interface to allow people to set their username etc. You would also need to fail gracefully if a network connection is not available instead of blocking while trying to connect to twiiter.
    Sure, but that's just windows forms and threading.
    I don't think this wouldn't be a problem - not having the movies/tv series/music tracks name would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom