Gamepad support (1 Viewer)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree that it would be nice to have this all integrated in MP.
    I was merely giving you an option for now.

Schmidti

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2004
    Germany
    This option will also be great for navigate through the GLCD. I`m thinking to instal a gamepad in the front of my HTPC to navigate through the menu-structure. The only problem that I`ve

-no support for GLCD (plugin ready but no information to display)
    -no gamepad support (only through other application)

I think these things will be solved later because they are no major points!

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    CoolHammer said:
    Intresting point of view, would you describe how you would use gamepad for controlling? Maybe we could find a new way to operate HTPC.

What I mean is that I use a remote and when mapping buttons you have to be real careful as there is so many events and so few buttons to use.

Gamepads have much less buttons.

I have been using my htpc for a while now but are moving to mediaportal as soon as i get my new computer up and running. The thing i like about my htpc is that many of the "basic options" like play, stop, pause and back are available as buttons from within the program. Much like the metal media skin but with a little easier access, and a few more, buttons.
    So basically what you need for using it is a remote/gamepad containing up, down, left and right buttons as well as a "select" button and then you are set to go. Using only these buttons you can control the most useful functions in the program.

At least that is my opinion.

/Peter

A

Anonymous

i'm very glad you agree MrMario64. thanks for clearing that up for me.

CoolHammer
    i wouldn't exactly say i have experience, but maybe this would be a good step. my 'experience' simply consists of buying 2 books on directx game programming and downloading sample code, then modifying the sample code to test my understanding of what it was doing. really just tinkering. i'll look at the plugin stuff, but i doubt i'll come up with anything unless it's just incredibly easy and straight-forward to me. there are other things i've been putting off studying for years now. if i lost my current job, i think i'd have hard time getting another comparable one without any certifications. in fact, my conscious about that bothers me a little for just being here...but that's a personal problem on my end.

i agree with most others here that only the basics should be taken from gamepad. you really only need to get 4 buttons to correspond to A,B,X,Y from the keyboard. the Y mapping would bring up the OSD for stop, pause, fforward, etc. one other button for ESC and then the dpad for directional navigation. MP rocks!

A

Anonymous

source files

i have made my way to the CVS repository on sourceforge, but i don't see any way to download all the source files at once. i'd really like to try to add this gamepad support myself. can anyone throw me a link where i can download all the source files in like a big tarball or rar file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom