Gametrailers - support thread (2 Viewers)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Fixed the video list ordering, it was off by one so you would get the wrong info for each item.
    Seems they add "fake" video links in between now which can't really be fixed easily in a regexp (at least by me), if it's bugged again please let me know.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Video url playback is currently broken, seems the download link for videos on the GT site is also not working for some videos so hard to test but will apply a fix today.

/edit: Oddly enough its not broken for all videos which is not what you would expect but oh well the GT is known for its quirks ;)

/edit 2: now videos that previously didn't work play just fine, will let the site settle down as it looks like their backend is having issues as once the links don't work in Online Videos its the same on the site.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    GT site was updated with new design but with many broken things at the moment, gonna wait till it stabilizes and update so that it works with OV again :)
    Also no more direct download links so not sure how I'll get the links this time..

// update

The entire site forum was wiped and many functions like search / categories are broken (showing old or very few items), not sure what is going on with them at the moment but it's not looking good as no respectable site would launch like this.
    Also with the removal of download links there's now only a flash option with sharded .mp4 downloads (no full video), example here:

http://embed.gametrailers.com/embed/2982609?embed=0

Not sure if it can be supported at this point but will do some more looking around.

Last edited:

real_per

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Yes, it's very weird, what's going on with the site. Deleting their forums, is just insane.

Too bad, because I like their content, especially their reviews. I'd would be nice to have it back on my TV.

Edit: seems like they're migrating their system to a new backbone: http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1377129

Perhaps we could persuade them to keeping their direct links? Or set up an API.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yeah perhaps they can bring back some features but probably will want to fix the basic things like video playback and forums first, would have expected they did that before launch because now it's a broken pos :p
    Will have to wait this out a bit and see where they land.

// update

So what I can gather so far from the staff there:

- New site owners (defy media)
    - Completed site migration poorly and while every dev is on holiday, great idea guys :p
    - Copied design over from Escapist but was never made to work with it in the first place
    - Forums are only up temporarily and new one coming (soon?)
    - Stuff broken and probably will be for a while

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Found a way to get a download url out of the embed.gametrailers.com page but I'm not sure how I can do this without having to read every video page (which is very slow atm), work in progress but getting there :)
    Also selecting quality higher than 320 is broken for me and not showing any quality options, working for anyone else thru the site itself?

// Update

Got a working flow for downloading the videos in higher qualities, can even add a quality selection now as they expose that on the embeded page which is great.
    Should have everything back to normal tomorrow with any luck.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just pushed the first fix for the new site layout.

What works at the moment:

- The ALL category and its subcategories
    - Next page loading
    - Default quality of 720P (more later)

What is still broken:

- Categories like PC / PS4 are not working on site (showing videos years ago with broken format)
    - Search, not working right on site as well (very old irrelevant content)

(Site) bugs:

- Gametrailers is slow in various parts now and again so can expect load times to vary, also have seen timeouts.
    - Game title is sometimes wrong on the Gametrailers site so no way around it, so you will see titles called "Gametrailers.com" in the reviews category for instance where it makes no sense.
    - No more duration or description available in categories which sucks and not sure if they will make a comeback.
    - Missing videos, seeing gaps of months in reviews for instance.

So all in all the Gametrailers site is a mess like mentioned before, hope they will sort it out soon but for the time being this will have to do :)

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That sucks :(

Considering the months of missing site features it was somewhat expected as you can't make money of a broken site :p, still a bit of miscommunication from their remaining site admins though as they were posting they were working hard to bring it back to a usable state even recently.
    Don't get why Defy bought it up and destroyed it completely because that now seems like a complete waste of money, they should have just kept the old site code as that worked fine for them.
    Back to IGN it is, their reviews tend to be more biased and depended on how much a publisher pays however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom