gapless playback (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Played around with the gapless playback function of MP (BASS engine) to find out that it is "nearly gapless". I'm not sure if it is a BASS engine issue or a MP issue however if it is possible to improve it this would be nice. Checked against foobar2000 and there gapless is really gapless (Tested two tracks of PinkFloyd WYWH ripped as FLAC).

On the Bass forum I found a discussion on how to achive really seamless playback with BASS. From what I read so far it should be possible by using the bassmix.dll. Did not have time to take a look into the sources so far, but I will do asap.

Here is the link:

http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=6159

grubi

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I was testing this too & it's almost perfect, do you have all your files on a network?

Regards
    Roy

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    I was testing this too & it's almost perfect, do you have all your files on a network?

Regards
    Roy

Hi ronilse,

It does not matter where the files are (tested both).
    As English is not my native, what does almost mean? nearly perfect or absolutely perfect?

I have seen that hwahrmann added the new bass engine to yesterday's build. I don't know
    which version was used previously but from what I have read on the BASS forum the tiny
    gap which was still present was fixed by an update to the bassmix.dll. So there is a small
    chance that this issue was fixed automatically.

I'm at work now so I could not check if the latest SVN fixes it.

Which version did you test?

grubi.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Almost = nearly, i'm using todays private builded, but i think because i have various gaps it's a result of my network, have to test more to be sure ;)

Regards
    Roy

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    Almost = nearly, i'm using todays private builded, but i think because i have various gaps it's a result of my network, have to test more to be sure ;)

Regards
    Roy

Therefore I checked with foobar2000 on the same pc which works as expected. Be careful that this is also a mediatype issue. Not all mediafiles support true gapless playback. Esp. mp3 is not gapless whereas flac is.

I digged a bit into the thread on BASS about that issue and found that the updated bassmix.dll was not enough: You also have to specify the BASS_MIXER_NORAMPIN option on the BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel call which was added for exactly that issue.

I will also do some further test with the latest SVN and see.

IMHO to get rid of this tiny gap is quite an important thing. Hangin around in some other hq-audio forums I can tell that this is a nogo for audiophiles preventing them from using MP. Would be nice to welcome them in the MP community.

grubi.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    do u use flac with a cue file or lose flac files for an album.?

I tried using 1 big flac file with a cue file but that prevents me from playing individual files but gives me gapless.

How do I get 100% gapless playback using flac and how do I rip these files an play them in MP?

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    do u use flac with a cue file or lose flac files for an album.?

I tried using 1 big flac file with a cue file but that prevents me from playing individual files but gives me gapless.

How do I get 100% gapless playback using flac and how do I rip these files an play them in MP?

I can only partially answer your question.
    I use 1 flac file per track as flac supports gapless playback.
    I rip these files using "Exact Audio Copy" where you can plug in the original flac encoder. This gives me absolutely gapless playback with foobar2000 however I could not achive this with PM so far. There is still a small but noticable gap between tracks. I will do some tests with the bass enging to find out if the engine is capable of true gapless playback. Then I will take a look at the MP sources. Maybe one of the devs will then jump in and assist (or the other way round). :D

grubi.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    thank you I was using EAC and the flac tool for making flacs

I try 1track flacs and use Foobar for now until BASS problems are solved

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Regards
    Roy

Hi Roy,

did some further test with latest SVN but the gapless playback only qualyfies for "nearly gapless". A look into the sources shows why. Gapless is realized in MP by a very short fadin (200 ms) so you will of course have no real gapless. I guess that this is historically from the times where BASS was not able to achive really gapless playback to make the track change less noticably. As this seems to have changes I personally would vote for changing it and doing gapless playback as shown by the devs of the BASS enging. As MP already uses the bassmix.dll (which is needed for gapless playback) this sould not be to complicated for a dev familiar with the BassAudio.cs source.

Code example you will find here:

http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=6159

grubi.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Nice, don't have much time to test things now, guess hw can look @ see if it's possible to make this gapless, gapless.
    Tried to set fadin to 0ms & it's better but misses a fraction of a beat ;)

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom