GB-PVR? (1 Viewer)

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am about to setup my new mediaportal build, but wanted to do a 1st hand compare with GB-PVR... I have noticed that their website is down and has been for a couple of days...

Anyone know what is happening - has the project folded, or is the site just offline for a couple of days?

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am about to setup my new mediaportal build, but wanted to do a 1st hand compare with GB-PVR... I have noticed that their website is down and has been for a couple of days...

Anyone know what is happening - has the project folded, or is the site just offline for a couple of days?

Don't waste your time with GBPVR once you have tired using Media Portal you won't change your mind.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Don't waste your time with GBPVR once you have tired using Media Portal you won't change your mind.

I second that. Have used both and MP is much more active in it's development

Nemulate

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2005
    IOW
    Home Country
    England England
    Sorry I have to disagree! I use both and in some respects GBPVR works better for me so you wouldn't do yourself any harm by checking it out! But I also prefer MP for certain parts too :)

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Harsh words Tipstir.

GBPVR works very well as a PVR app. OK not as pretty as MP or with the same level of functionality of plugins etc but a fine and superbly supported PVR package (thanks to the superhuman Sub) non the less.

As far as I'm aware GBPVR and MP can be installed on one machine and then they can be compared easily. I think folk should try both and see which one works best for them.

Kev

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Harsh words Tipstir.

GBPVR works very well as a PVR app. OK not as pretty as MP or with the same level of functionality of plugins etc but a fine and superbly supported PVR package (thanks to the superhuman Sub) non the less.

As far as I'm aware GBPVR and MP can be installed on one machine and then they can be compared easily. I think folk should try both and see which one works best for them.

Kev

Well that's my opinion! I've used it prior as you, and I don't hold so much praise for the author as of today thumbs down! Media Portal has come a long way from the bottom to the top. MP is easy to configure and frankly all you have the right hardware the GUI beats all of them even the commercial ones. If someone can come up with a free EPG then you'll be all set. Otherwise some have to reach into the piggy bank and shell out some green for EPG data...

Hey no one can stop anyone from trying out all the free ones and the commercial ones to see which one is the best.

Key features to think about..

1. software should be able to detect which PVR tuner cards that are installed
    2. software should be able to tune in and set the channels automatically
    3. recording quality should be pre-define for the best picture but using less HDD space
    4. min configuration is the key element here
    5. plugin that work and function

GB might be more of Euro PVR than a domestic one here, SG and BTV can take over from that and users can use MP to control media center for playback. Those who have the MediaMVP can well take over from that. MP and the MediaMVP can work together as with all PVR for playing back the media.

I've tested MP, GB, SGTV, BTV and use them all.. I'll use MP to watch back video playback on HDTV through one of my laptops. The laugh on GB was that I could do that with GB also but the switch to make it like MP has failed never going to happen. SGTV and BTV both are good for recording, not really to use as media center as MP is. Heck you even got sound effects like a Tvio ..

What would be cool if you could have MP chime to let you know what's going to record when you're watching livetv.

Ragnarok666

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    I just wish we could use GB-PVR's rock solid DVB PVR with media portals front end and plugins.

Media Portal is fantastic, but the TV server not so much. Loads of features but not so solid or dependable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom