General Appearance question (1 Viewer)

Mxman

Portal Member
February 7, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Why is the front screen not so user friendly?

The MP1 front screen user interface is perfect. Looks great, works great and most importantly a 5 year old can work it.

Is there a way of setting the front screen the same as MP1?

It looks a 10000 times better then MP2. You've got to much like the competition. They all suck.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi, can you give some specific examples of things that could be improved in MP2/things that you like about MP1? The home screens are also skin dependent so details about which skins you are referring to would be good too.
    Thanks

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

The MP1 front screen user interface is perfect. Looks great, works great and most importantly a 5 year old can work it.

It looks a 10000 times better then MP2. You've got to much like the competition. They all suck.

Well, well, well,
    what a way to start your career here.
    If you don't like MP2, stay with MP1 as a lot of us do.
    BUT DON'T TRY TO START A WAR !

Last edited:

Mxman

Portal Member
    February 7, 2016
    Home Country

Hi, can you give some specific examples of things that could be improved in MP2/things that you like about MP1? The home screens are also skin dependent so details about which skins you are referring to would be good too.
    Thanks

Thanks for your sensible reply.............my past experience was no one would reply or just make stupid childish comments.

In the standard installation of MP1 you can default either to 1 of 2 gui layouts/skins/start screens. Choices was default or Titan.
    The Titan layout is big, bold, shows some level of style, easy to use and understand for all ages of user. It also looks great on larger screens/projectors (60"+).
    From a pure user point of view its clear what to do where to go. Why waste all the screen real estate with a small top menu. Doesn't look great and is totally confusing for younger or inexperienced users.

I use mostly use it for music, video and pictures. As a user all you want to do is select what you want in one button push! :)
    That is especially true if you happen to have a serious massive amounts of source files. Over complicated selections screens become difficult with that amount of files.
    Large icons become impractical, list becomes impossible to find what you want quickly, small/medium icons just about work as you can get massive amounts per screen and still just about see the detail.

In this forum post my question was can I get the MP1(Titan) layout screen on MP2? Since the setting/configuration is much more basic on MP2 I can't see there's an option.

Mxman

Portal Member
    February 7, 2016
    Home Country
    Afaik MP2 offers the same skin like Titan - just use that one ;)

Thanks for your reply. Would be a great idea except there are only 3 skins to download.
    1 is now the current default. 2 just another skin. 3rd which might be the one your talking about. But sadly seems to crash mp2 so I'm not sure if this is the right one.

Do you know if you can use the MP1 skin? I expect not but you never know.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is Titanium Extended theme for MP2. It offers almost the same layout as MP1. It's included in the installer, so you should be easily able to select it. Problem is, that most users do not find it, because it is a theme of BlueVision skin and this is not expected.
    It also has a group menu, but only visible in home screen. All other screens look like in MP1.

There will be also a new skin in next version based on WMC, offering very easy and lean navigation. Perhaps this can be also in our interest.

@morpheus_xx
    We talked about it before. I think it's really important to have 2 skins to reach the largest group of potential MP2 users
    • WMC skin --> for all those coming from WMC after WIn10 update
    • Titanium Extended skin --> for those users comeing from MP1
    The situation, that TE is a theme means that many users will not even find it, because they do not expect it there. There is not much in common with BV.
    Would be really good to shift the BV menu model (and related parts you mentioned) to skin engine and making TE an individual skin.
    I know it's effort, but necessary to make ex- MP1 users feel comfortable :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The next MP2 version - MP 2.1 - whose release is imminent (well, a few weeks to go) - contains several GUI's. Either as a separate skin or a special theme. Among them is a Titan like surface, a Windows Media Center style and some others.

Nonetheless, we would very much appreciate a reasonable tone. Expressions like "They all suck" are not likely to trigger many meaningful responses.

Mxman

Portal Member
    February 7, 2016
    Home Country
    The next MP2 version - MP 2.1 - whose release is imminent (well, a few weeks to go) - contains several GUI's. Either as a separate skin or a special theme. Among them is a Titan like surface, a Windows Media Center style and some others.

Nonetheless, we would very much appreciate a reasonable tone. Expressions like "They all suck" are not likely to trigger many meaningful responses.

With the greatest respect I think you have misunderstood the context of my comment. The comment was for competitive products not for MPx.
    But I take your point.

Mxman

Portal Member
    February 7, 2016
    Home Country
    There is Titanium Extended theme for MP2. It offers almost the same layout as MP1. It's included in the installer, so you should be easily able to select it. Problem is, that most users do not find it, because it is a theme of BlueVision skin and this is not expected.
    It also has a group menu, but only visible in home screen. All other screens look like in MP1.

There will be also a new skin in next version based on WMC, offering very easy and lean navigation. Perhaps this can be also in our interest.

@morpheus_xx
    We talked about it before. I think it's really important to have 2 skins to reach the largest group of potential MP2 users
    • WMC skin --> for all those coming from WMC after WIn10 update
    • Titanium Extended skin --> for those users comeing from MP1
    The situation, that TE is a theme means that many users will not even find it, because they do not expect it there. There is not much in common with BV.
    Would be really good to shift the BV menu model (and related parts you mentioned) to skin engine and making TE an individual skin.
    I know it's effort, but necessary to make ex- MP1 users feel comfortable :)

If I understand you correctly, the Bluevision theme contains a close match to the MP1 Titan skin?
    I agree I can't find it. I'm also having no success installing Titanium extended theme but if I'm correct your saying it won't work if you already have the win 10 update?

My whole reason for this start layout is purely about control & its looks.

- Look better according to my family & me.
    - Yes its more familiar and less like a console & PC menu.
    - Seems to work better on a massive screen, top menu (too small)
    - The biggest reason of all big icons easier to use for all abilities.(Leapmotion also works, very cool. minority report here we come)

As a completely different subject sidenote only: Are we going to get parental or folder control? One of the big things I've done with MP1 is set out lots of short cut Folder icons specifically for the kids programs, themes etc. Not just film & TV. Don't really want to be browsing like explorer every 5 minutes. I may as well use streaming software if I wanted to do that.

Media portal is good looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom