general EPG setup questions (1 Viewer)

oscar615

Portal Member
January 30, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am in the process of building a HTPC system for my house. I will be using media Portal as a server and either Media Portal or XBMC as the clients. I have four televisions. I will also be using a silicon dust HDHomeRun extend as my TV Tuner with schedules direct as my EPG.

My questions are about setting up EPG. I want to have the EPG have all of my OTA stations listed. I also want it to show the schedules for networks that I will be watching through apps, such as watchESPN, HBOGO, that sort of thing.

So first, is the EPG residing on each client or on the server? Is it possible to have it reside on the server and have the clients pull from there?

Secondly, is it possible to have the EPG showing the schedules of channels that I watch through applications? In other words can I maybe manually add lines to the schedule that are not in my zip codes EPG from schedule direct? Or how would I get them in there?

And lastly, is it possible to have those schedules for the apps clickable? For instance if I see something on the HBO line that I want to watch can I just click anywhere on the HBO line or the logo or something like that and have it open the HBO app for me?

How would I set this up?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello oscar615 :)

I want to have the EPG have all of my OTA stations listed.
    That's definitely possible (assuming you can find a source for the EPG data).

I also want it to show the schedules for networks that I will be watching through apps, such as watchESPN, HBOGO, that sort of thing.
    You can do that too. You'll have to manually create "fake" channels in TV Server configuration for each network/channel that you watch through an app.

So first, is the EPG residing on each client or on the server? Is it possible to have it reside on the server and have the clients pull from there?
    The EPG data resides on the server and the clients pull it from there. It isn't possible to have the EPG data reside on the clients.

Secondly, is it possible to have the EPG showing the schedules of channels that I watch through applications? In other words can I maybe manually add lines to the schedule that are not in my zip codes EPG from schedule direct? Or how would I get them in there?
    Yes, as above. You'd need to manually create fake channels in TV Server configuration. One per channel that you watch through an app. You can then associated EPG data with said channels, and they'll show in the guide.

And lastly, is it possible to have those schedules for the apps clickable? For instance if I see something on the HBO line that I want to watch can I just click anywhere on the HBO line or the logo or something like that and have it open the HBO app for me?
    As far as I know: no, not with MediaPortal.

Regards,
    mm
    [edit: I'm going to delete the identical duplicate thread that you posted. Please don't double/cross post.]

oscar615

Portal Member
    January 30, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Great thanks. I will do what you said.

I did not realize I had double posted this. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom