General satellite reception advice? (1 Viewer)

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
June 27, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
My TV setup is based on a Technosat Multytenne dish/LNB which receives feeds from 4 satellite. My media PC has two cards (technosat skystar and WinTV Nova HD). This has run reliably for years except during very poor weather when the signal fails. More recently, channels are failing to load when the weather seems OK, but as UK channel beams have been tightened (over the UK) in recent months this does (sadly) make sense. I am in Switzerland so my setup is, arguably, on the fringe of acceptable (small dish).

I have noticed when running a channel scan that the signal strength/quality parameters seem to be different depending on the card. This means I "find" more channels on one card versus the other and (I suspect) some channels will not load on one card but might on the other. By deduction there must be a Sat card which has the "best" performance for channel scanning/loading. I am also not sure if a channel fails to laod on one card, if MP then tries to load it on the other.

All this 'knowledge' is just deduction. I have not found resources where I can get educated on this topic. Are there any contributors here that can help, or failing that good websites for advice? These would be learning about how to improve satelite feed quality, what the best TV cards are (switching times, sensitivity, etc.). I also struggle to know how some of the details in MediaPortal work - such as how the TV card priority functions.

My starter questions:
  1. Is a new card likely to improve channel reception and reliability?
  2. If so, which HD sat card which has the "best" performance for channel scanning/loading/switch times.
  3. If not, what are the best tricks to improve the satellite feed reliability?
  4. Any websites that are useful for these topics?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

I have noticed when running a channel scan that the signal strength/quality parameters seem to be different depending on the card.
    These parameters cannot be fairly compared between tuners unless the tuners are the same brand and model.

I am also not sure if a channel fails to laod on one card, if MP then tries to load it on the other.
    By default it will, yes. That is configured separately for timeshifting and recording ("maximum free cards to try"):
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ation/TV-Server_Configuration/08_Timeshifting
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tion/001_TV-Server/Configuration/07_Recording

Is a new card likely to improve channel reception and reliability?
    It may... or it may be worse. Sensitivity varies from tuner to tuner. Some tuners can "naturally" receive weaker signals that others cannot.
    IMHO getting a new tuner would be a lottery. If you really want to improve the reception and reliability the first things to think about are dish alignment and size, and condition of cabling, LNBs, and switches/splitters.

If so, which HD sat card which has the "best" performance for channel scanning/loading/switch times.
    Honestly I think this question is most likely to only get biased answers... which are pretty much worthless. Probably nobody can give you an accurate answer with proper technical information to back it up, because most people only own one or two tuners and don't have signal and noise generators for proper testing. Also, you can't directly compare results from different people because they're testing in different conditions.

If not, what are the best tricks to improve the satellite feed reliability?
    As above - dish alignment, cabling etc. Tricks have nothing to do with it; it is all about being methodical.

Any websites that are useful for these topics?
    Pass.

Regards,
    mm

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hello :)

Is a new card likely to improve channel reception and reliability?
    It may... or it may be worse. Sensitivity varies from tuner to tuner. Some tuners can "naturally" receive weaker signals that others cannot.
    IMHO getting a new tuner would be a lottery. If you really want to improve the reception and reliability the first things to think about are dish alignment and size, and condition of cabling, LNBs, and switches/splitters.

Regards,
    mm

Thanks, mm. There isn't much wrong with the two cards I have so without a guaranteed improvement, it doesn't make sense to experiment.

I have done what I can on dish alignment. I find the signal strength/quality indicators in TV config aren't very helpful, but I've done the best I can by trial-and-error.
    Dish size isn't easy to change as I would need to upgrade the whole setup including LNBs and adding multi-switches (big $ solution without a guranteed result).
    Cable connectors are secure, and there are no splitters or switches involved.
    I am not sure what I can check for "cable condition" other than just buying a new cable.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have done what I can on dish alignment. I find the signal strength/quality indicators in TV config aren't very helpful, but I've done the best I can by trial-and-error.
    Oh, that's far from ideal. TV Server is only designed to give a very rough indication. You should at least use dedicated signal monitoring software such as FastSatFinder... or even better, get a professional installer with proper tools to come and align your dish properly. They will also be able to check and advise on your cabling, terminations etc.

Dish size isn't easy to change as I would need to upgrade the whole setup including LNBs and adding multi-switches (big $ solution without a guranteed result).
    That's true. If the signal quality is good but signal strength is too weak then you may simply be able to put in an amplifier. However most amplifiers boost noise as well as signal. An installer would be able to advise and probably let you try and see if it helps.

Cable connectors are secure, and there are no splitters or switches involved.
    I am not sure what I can check for "cable condition" other than just buying a new cable.
    Plenty of things to think about...
    Connectors - especially at the dish end - can allow water ingress over time. Especially screw-on connectors. Sometimes even trimming the end off and re-terminating them (crimp connectors recommended) can be enough to help.
    LNBs are the same - the plastic casing perishes with sunlight and can crack... and in general, the internal electronics can wear out (electron migration etc.) leading to local oscillator frequency drift.

mm

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Plenty of things to think about...
    mm

Clearly, in you I have found my expert, so I will abuse your generosity... and I'll give fastsatfinder a trial.

The setup is about 7 years old now, so slow deterioration of components is possible. I had an issue about a year ago when I started going down this route - nothing was obviously damaged. The cables are both about 10m long.

Today, I am having difficulties receiving all the ITV channels (although ITV 1 HD works), but everything else is working find. One channel I can't get but I beleive I should be able to get is BBC 2 HD. Any reason why these would be problems?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Today, I am having difficulties receiving all the ITV channels (although ITV 1 HD works), but everything else is working find. One channel I can't get but I beleive I should be able to get is BBC 2 HD. Any reason why these would be problems?
    Sorry, I can't even begin to speculate without access to log files.

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Sorry, I can't even begin to speculate without access to log files.

Would happily oblige but my setup has gone all fubar today and I'm in the middle of a re-install. Once I get it up again, I'll post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom