[Approved] Generic network provider is not allways best solution... (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Background:

Discussed here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...work-provider-not-allways-working-win7-72655/

As said in some cases "generic network provider" is not allways working very good. I tested it with dvb-t and dvb-s cards.
    My older dvb-t cards had very bad quaility signal with generic network provider. So i tested it with Microsoft DVBT network provider in windows 7, and it cured thos symptoms.

Tourettes asked if could make a patch for, so that in OS'es where both generic and dvb nertwork providers exist, user has an option to select between them.

Here is patch for that.

Implemented features:

- Update database when setuptv is executed. card table is modified to include tinyint NetProvider field.
    - Formcardedit in setuptv is modified to contain combobox where network provider can be set.
    - modified network provider selection logic. Current implementation allways tries to use generic before any other network provider.

regards,

Attachments

• combox_reworked_Selectable_net_provider.patch
      30.8 KB

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have set this patch to our new status "postponed".
    First of all we should use the settings table for this new settings like the for the other settings as well. This will avoid the db update.

On the other hand an additional option will mostly confuse users so TVE3 should be able to handle this on its own. This is something that should be put onto the roadmap and will mostly be part of MP2.

MisterD

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have set this patch to our new status "postponed".
    First of all we should use the settings table for this new settings like the for the other settings as well. This will avoid the db update.

On the other hand an additional option will mostly confuse users so TVE3 should be able to handle this on its own. This is something that should be put onto the roadmap and will mostly be part of MP2.

MisterD

Okay.

I'll comment a bit.

At first :

This seems a bit strange. All other settings that affect only that particular tuner are in Database. Like Cam settings for example, or can tuner be used epg grapping. This setting is meant to be as per tuner. That is same place i'm using in this patch.

It would be nice to have it like that, but I can't see how to make it work. This setting is needed when , mostly by visually seeing live-tv going somehow wrong. There is no way of detecting in code which one should be used as they might both(general and tunertype network providers) connect and work okay in graph, but still only one of them gives good results.

For me Pinnacle 70e dvb-t tuner needs "Microsoft dvbt network provider" and Technotrend S2 3200 dvb-s needs "generic network provider".

Regards,

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think your solution is the right one, it is only postponed due to the feature freeze.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We use both ways for settings. Some are also in the settings table and in the current stage of TVE3 it makes more sense to reduce the amount of DB changes.

There are also some other possibilities which will mostly also fix this problem. First of all we could try to analyze the values that are reported by the tuner and/or capture filters. Perhaps it is possible to find some indications that will help TVE3 to select the right one.
    Another possibility is to remove completely the M$ network provider and replace it with an other filter. We know that the current network provider has some issues and sometimes also slows down channel change.

There might be some other solutions.

MisterD

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    te3hpurp, can you post a new patch?

please change the following:
    - tab size : 2 spaces
    - sql script 49 --> 50

I'll take a look into integration

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    te3hpurp, can you post a new patch?

please change the following:
    - tab size : 2 spaces
    - sql script 49 --> 50

I'll take a look into integration

Hi.

Here it is. I also cleaned and commented a bit.

Regards,

Attachments

• Selectable_Network_provider.patch
      30.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom