Get yourself some Disk Imaging software....

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by vbap, June 14, 2005.

1. vbap

vbap Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use Acronis TrueImage, but others (Ghost) will do too I'm sure...

Just had a torrid weekend trying to install a Dvico FusionHDTV Lite card (I think I got a dud card, but that is for another thread).

Long story short: my disk images (Fresh XPProSP2, fresh MCE2005 and latest working MediaPortal setup) saved me A LOT of time and hassle. Frantically mucking around with hardware and software with just an hour to go before a weekly program is due to be recorded, I simply restored my latest working MP image and everything works it's as if nothing happened all weekend (actually, nothing DID happen all weekend!!!).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LastMar

LastMar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do the same thing, it is extremely useful.

4. Aquarius
    • Premium Supporter

Aquarius MP Donator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    ... or use LINUX ;-)

... or use a LINUX ( esp. a live LINUX like KNOPPIX) and save some money for the extra program.

use 'dd' or 'ntfsclone' for saving/ cloning even via network.

Very fast and efficient.

If somebody is interested, I might post a small HOW-TO.
    Promised : no UNIX know-how needed.

Regards
    Aquarius

5. LastMar

LastMar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: ... or use LINUX ;-)

I am interested, because the last I knew the Linux folks hadn't figured out how to write to an NTFS partition.

6. Lyxalig
    • Premium Supporter

Lyxalig MP Donator

IT student
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Linux? How? Why? Has this enything to with Windows and Cloning image?

Dont get it. Please explain. :shock:

7. LastMar

LastMar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He's saying there's a Linux tool that performs the function of one of those disk cloning programs, where I assume you would boot into the Linux distro of your choice (preferably one that can run from a CD), then run the utility and backup/restore as needed. What I don't get is how it can write to NTFS.

8. Lyxalig
    • Premium Supporter

Lyxalig MP Donator

IT student
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    That sounds interesting. *Dreaming* Putting in my DVD-RW wth this linux thingy preconfigured. It does its thing, and writes a backupimage of everything..... Ahh- <That would be fine> :D

9. Aquarius
    • Premium Supporter

Aquarius MP Donator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    True,
    there is a restriction: you CANNOT write the clone to an NTFS- filesystem into a file on some local disk which is also NTFS – formatted.

I guess this would destroy the integrity of the file system cause you write to a file system without being logged in. This is for sure the domain of the commercial programs. They write as „SYSTEM"- user and to access this file you must explicitly set the user rights for this file. I never managed to get this done with XP-Home.

But what you CAN do :
    - clone the NTFS- file system into a another local partition. You have access to the saved image files directly afterwards.
    - use a FAT32- partition as target ( no comment …)
    - send the clone directly via network to a 2nd machine, which may run any OS with any filesystem and dump it there into a file. You may also restore it from there over the network.

If this isn’t a too hard restriction, I still may post a HOWTO.
    Looking forward for feedback.

10. vbap

vbap Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Aquarius,

I would find the HOWTO interesting. I already clone my images to a USB drive, which has 2 partitions (1xNTFS, 1xFAT32). Would the Linux option recognise attached USB drives? A problem with Acronis is that it only recognises the first partition (the NTFS one on my USB disk). I haven't really spent time working out why, since it makes not too much difference. But if for Linux I can only use a FAT32, then it's important...

11. LastMar

LastMar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what you're saying is, you can create a backup of an NTFS partition as an image file, and you can then restore that image as NTFS, but you can't save the image file on an NTFS partition in the meantime? Correct me if I misunderstood what you're saying.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!