GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H replacement? (1 Viewer)

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi! I have the following components:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
    AMD PHENOM TRIPLE-CORE 2.4 GHZ
    OCZ TECH OCZ Gold XTC 4096MB DDR2 PC6400

where the mainboard is broken. I have got an offer for a replacement or money back, but the mainboard is no longer in production (at least they don't have it in the store) and I need another one.

Please give me suggestions for a new mainboard which works with my CPU and memory, and has the following functions:

- HDMI out
    - HD video accelleration
    - Surround sound (at least 5.1, mini jacks)
    - Micro ATX

The computer is mainly a HTPC, to be used with MediaPortal.

edit: They suggested ASUS Mainboard S-AM2+ AMD780G mATX VGA(256) PCI-E Audio GbLAN Raid D-Sub/ DVI/ HDMI Retail. Any experience with that board?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    A AM2+ board will handle AM2 and AM3 processors, the latter will use the built in DDR2 memory controller instead of the DDR3 one.

A AM2+ board will also handle a AM2 processor

A AM3 board will only take AM2 processors, but will let you using DDR3 memory.

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think the processor is AM2 or AM2+, it's about a year old, so the board needs to support this one.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    the processor will be either AM2 or AM3, it's the boards than can be AM2, AM2+ or AM3.

I would suggest an AM2+ board. I've never used the Asus, but I would expect it to be similar to the Gigabyte.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Why not go for a 785-based mobo? The 785 has a slightly better IGP compared to the 780 (UVD2 vs UVD, resp.)

For example, the GA-MA785GM-UD2H is a mATX mobo and has HDMI out + 7.1 audio.

MLH01.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hm.. I answered this in the other thread... This is close to crossposting, IMO

Yes, this has been answered in the other thread.

cecolon: just Google ATI 4200 vs 3200, or something similar, if you want more information than what Spragleknas has provided. Generally, later generations have more features and are therefore better than previous.

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Sorry, I thought about that afterwards - it is more a video card question than a motherboard question, so I posted it there. But it is also somewhat related to this thread. Anyways, thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom