MPEG2 Audio Codec: default
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: generic
    Cooling: basic
    Power Supply: generic 300w
    Remote: Fusion
    TV: Samsung LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

This has nothing to do with the excellent software that Mediaportal is - its a rant about the difficulties with Dvico drivers.

I just installed the latest 3.60 drivers and fiddling around a bit could get mediaportal to detect both tuners (its a dual digital - the pci/usb thingy). I could scan channels and get all except channel 7 - I live in Port Douglas. I tried the fusion software and it couldnt find it either. Tried this tried that. Signal is good then signal is bad. Cable guy says my antenna and cabling is fine.

So I give up. Off to install ubuntu with mythtv and try the linux drivers.

Wish me luck. If all fails then Im binning this dvico for a totally different card. Had nothing but a bad run. When it works it works great. Its been the biggest holdup in getting a decent HTPC build going. So dissapointed.

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Good luck. If you are not familiar with Linux, don't expect immediate results. You will need to learn the ins and outs of the system.

I don't know why you may have chosen Ubuntu, but there is an excellent guide for installing Fedora Core 6 and MythTV:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

It sounds as if you may have a bum card, maybe you can seek support from the place you purchased it from.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I have a couple of Dvico Dual Tuner cards (a 2 & a 4). I also have 4 other tuners from 3 different manufacturers and the Dvico are the worst for signal reception and general stability/reliability.

As I rent a house, I have internal antennas ('Rabbit ears'). I realise that this is not the best antennae setup but that's what I have until I buy a house.
    I have tried different combinations of antennae and various locations about the house and the Dvico always perform the worst of all the cards I have. I will never recommend Dvico to anyone.

P.S. Anyone want to buy some Dvico Dual tuners? They're going cheap! haha

Regards,

Nick Name.

grandalf

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree about the comments about MythTV. I have been running it on a separate drive on the same PC as MP. After several weeks I am still to get it working right, in particular driving a TV. I guess you learn a lot in the process though. Much more pain free using MP. If you want to go for Myth, try MythDora as an easier route.

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Well I put Ubuntu on tonight and already have both tuners detected and loaded and the remote works.

There is heaps of help out there and currently reading a wiki from an Aussie guy who installed this dvico dual digital with mythtv and then had scheduling working etc.

I can see I have much to do and anxiously awaiting the LCD TV hookup which I must be careful of due to refresh rates and resolution but again heaps of tutorials on the subject.

The ubuntu install went flawlessly. Updates smooth as and adding firmware to get the bluebird usb part going was easy.

Ill update on whether reception improves with these linux drivers. Hoping it does and hoping to get channel 7 back (which I had all along until 3.6)

By the way with 3.6 dvico drivers, changing channels in Mediaportal was way quicker like twice as fast.

Oooh and yeh if this mythtv doesnt pan out then I to will have a cheap dvico card for sale. I hopes I dont get burnt on this. I should have done my homework

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Dvico definately seem to have a driver problem, cannot complain to much about there dual DVB-T version one as it does pretty much work flawlessly with driver 3.41, but updates are not good with this card (even though recommended).

As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well I put Ubuntu on tonight and already have both tuners detected and loaded and the remote works.

The ubuntu install went flawlessly. Updates smooth as and adding firmware to get the bluebird usb part going was easy.

You're using Ubuntu Edgy Eft, 6.10, right? So it has the Dvico drivers in-built? Was an absolute pain with Dapper 6.06, as I had to compile and install the drivers manually.

UPDATE: This link could be helpful for all those going to the 'other side' ;)
    http://lifehacker.com/software/ubuntu/learn-ubuntu-linux-with-freely-available-ebook-241847.php

Sam

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

You're using Ubuntu Edgy Eft, 6.10, right? So it has the Dvico drivers in-built? Was an absolute pain with Dapper 6.06, as I had to compile and install the drivers manually.

UPDATE: This link could be helpful for all those going to the 'other side' ;)
    http://lifehacker.com/software/ubuntu/learn-ubuntu-linux-with-freely-available-ebook-241847.php

Sam
    In Linux the "drivers" are usually part of the Linux kernel, except for new ones. To enable them you may need to compile your own kernel, but this is really not that big of a deal. They are loaded as modules. The older Dvico cards had the same HD chip as my pcHDTV HD-3000, and used the same module. I had to manually load the module by typing in:
    Code:
    modprobe cx88-dvb
    If it has an analog tuner, it may have a BT878 chip. This would use the bttv module. You can add things to the module when you load it. I have an older card with a BT848 chip and a Philips tuner. When I load the module I enter this:
    Code:
    modprobe bttv tuner=2 card=3 radio=1
    My card has an FM tuner, default is radio=0 (no FM tuner).

Somewhere I found a listing for all of the cards/tuners and the corresponding numbers needed for input. Just Google for it, if you need to.

Your card may also need firmware loaded, to work correctly.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mmm... sorry for using the wrong teminology, you know what I mean.

But yes, last time I had to download the source, compile the module, and then insert it and somehow tell it to do that every time too (I did write all the steps down once I worked it out).

But come on, as opposed to a point and click installation? Not really Linux's fault, I know. Anyway, the question is, is the module included and auto-detected in the new Ubuntu, or do I have to do more fiddling (easier 2nd time round seeing as I have the instructions written down from before)...

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom