Given up and moving to linux (1 Viewer)

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sorry, the detailed explanation wasn't meant to imply that you don't know what you are doing. I don't know what level of Linux knowledge most people reading this thread have. So I just gave some info to get newbies headed in the right direction.

As for loading modules automatically, there is a file in SuSE to do that: /etc/modprobe.conf. I don't know how Ubuntu does it, though. SuSE also has a section in Yast->sysconfig->MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT.

Oh, and I can't even get my old BT848 card to work anymore in Linux, even after modprobing for it like I said before. (modprobe bttv tuner=2 card=3 radio=1). The bttv module is automatically loaded at boot. I first had to remove it with rmmod bttv, then reload it.

Enough Linux, before they close this thread! :)

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes using ubuntu 6.1 edgy eft.

Drivers for pci part of card loaded automatically. Had to load firmware for usb part and that was a breeze. Using the following wiki for what to do....

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DViCO_FusionHDTV_DVB-T_Dual_Digital_Installation

Im now up to the mysql bit...after that the mythTV config and then the remote config.

Im delving into the unknown here now....

I know this thread is leading away from Mediaportal but I thought I would post my experience thus far.

I still really want to use Mediaportal. I can see that I may still if reception is shit with this card and I go get a new one.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    thargs:

Sounds good - I've got a PCI one.

The mysql bit isn't too hard, especially if you use the defaults. The remote bit was a bit trickier, if you are using the Dvico MCE remote, see the attached doc, under Remote Installation. You probably won't have to compile LIRC like I have, as the newer version is probably now available in the repos.

Hmm, seeing as you're delving into the unknown anyway, let me know how you got the TV guide to work. I can get the oztivo script to work, and mythfilldatabase to work too, but I have no idea how to tell it to do that on a scheduled basis.

Sam
    P.S. I've probably just forever offended the MP gods by posting that attachment :p

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I was up to changing a mysql config file when the cable guy turned up today with some new shiny insulated cable that we ran from the antenna to the wall socket.

He wanted to know how the comp tuner would work (he knew of my disappointment) so since I had a dual boot system I booted up XP (ubuntu made the dual boot for me before hand) and tried the card.

WELL now the Dvico decides to behave itself. I pick up all the channels, stable and clean. I fire up Mediaportal and scan for channels.

So now Im running Mediaportal, scheduling and assigned a few keys to my liking on the remote, share movies and music etc etc.

So to keep the wife happy Im not going to touch MythTV for a while. Ill still give it a go but am in no rush at the moment.

As for MythTV and automated updating of your schedule. I have seen somewhere where you can do that. Its out there somewhere. I just cant find where it was. Its only a couple of commands.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    WELL now the Dvico decides to behave itself. I pick up all the channels, stable and clean. I fire up Mediaportal and scan for channels.

It's amazing what "decent" reception will do for a "faulty" TVcard.

Glad you got it sorted thargs.

ps WELCOME BACK

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    So far very stable as well.

I have recorded while viewing another channel and all OK.

One little annoyance has been that when using the default codec for TV, channel changing was quick. However aspect and quality not so good.

Tried the Zulu codec (same as what dvico uses in their software) and all is fine however channel changing has slowed quite a lot (back to like it was with driver 3.50).

I dont mind so much due to webEPG giving me details of what is on and I go to the channel I want (avoids channel surfing).

In all there are some smart people in the world who put this Mediaportal together. My hat off to you all.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    One little annoyance has been that when using the default codec for TV, channel changing was quick. However aspect and quality not so good.

Tried the Zulu codec (same as what dvico uses in their software) and all is fine however channel changing has slowed quite a lot (back to like it was with driver 3.50).

Might be worth trying the Nvidia codec trial version, best for me, but not for everyone, always worth trying though.

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Could you give me some pointers on

1. Where to get it
    2. Installation
    3. How to "load" it so Mediaportal has it in the drop down menu when selecting codec for TV

many thanks in advance...

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I see that its only a 30 day trial. What happens after that? Does it deactivate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom