GotTV/GAM no longer free! (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Well, just like Meedio, Tony has decide to start charging for his HTPC software.

http://www.gallm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Methinks there might be some more members joining this week as his loyal supporters jump ship to one of the last truely free options.

Long live Free Open Source Software (and MP of course).

mike37931

Portal Member
April 26, 2004
I don't think he's trying to spite Meedio. I think he needs money. I'm only speculating though.

The link above is slightly outdated. He has dropped the price to $49.95.

My selfish dream: All the developers of these fine softwares get together and share their talents. I feel that each software has great things going for it but just can't get there. If only there could be the solid TV/HD of GAM, The fast pace and opensource of MP, the forum of support /plugin documentation of myHTPC/Meedio. The MVP/Xcard support of GBpvr. The multizone/remote capabilities of XLobby. The Linux OS capabilities of MythTV.

I can dream can't I?

Mike

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
mike37931 said:
I don't think he's trying to spite Meedio. I think he needs money. I'm only speculating though.

The link above is slightly outdated. He has dropped the price to $49.95.

My selfish dream: All the developers of these fine softwares get together and share their talents. I feel that each software has great things going for it but just can't get there. If only there could be the solid TV/HD of GAM, The fast pace and opensource of MP, the forum of support /plugin documentation of myHTPC/Meedio. The MVP/Xcard support of GBpvr. The multizone/remote capabilities of XLobby. The Linux OS capabilities of MythTV.

I can dream can't I?

Mike

I dream of a world where they all get together and share their talents, to create a highly commercialized product that is superior to any open-source project in every way, and basically everyone is obligated to buy it at an absurd profit to the company that owns it. Also, though some loophole, I will receive a 50% share of the profits.

mike37931

Portal Member
April 26, 2004
LastMar said:
I dream of a world where they all get together and share their talents, to create a highly commercialized product that is superior to any open-source project in every way, and basically everyone is obligated to buy it at an absurd profit to the company that owns it. Also, though some loophole, I will receive a 50% share of the profits.

I guess your joking around. I'm being serious. I mean, if I used MP I would feel pretty obliged to give some $'s in order to support them. I bought GAM if only because I wanted to see it continue in development and felt obliged to contribute for what I've used it for in the past and continue to use it for today. I've given money to Pablo for myHTPC development and now feel that Meedio deserves $35 (I'd contribute that much for MP). I will not pay a dime for MCE until I can try it on my hardware cause I don't think it'll work but would be willing to if I thought it could do what I want. I guess I'm getting tired and venting that I can't find the software that will work for me. I'll keep waiting. I'll stop spending the money.

Mike

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
mike37931 said:
I guess your joking around. I'm being serious.

I'll stop joking, then:

If Tony has moved to a point where he is dependent on people buying GAM, then he has just killed his own software. There is no way he will be able to compete with the likes of Meedio, ShowShifter, MCE, etc etc..... Not even GBPVR, and that one's free.

In short, GAM is crap, it's not worth buying.

The fact that Tony has sold out, after all that crap with pablo, makes it even less appealing.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Guys, if you really think the devs of HTPC programs will stick together and build a perfect HTPC application, you can also dream that Microsoft and Apple will stick together building the perfect personal computers. Not kidding, just reality.
That's capitalism. The communism times are gone.

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
hey nice thread! from gam to communism! if you think that sharing knowledge and talent is communism - i want it now! tony has done a great job with got tv, now he has to sell his software - that's capitalism. and pablo sells meedio. so what? if you don't like it, don't buy it.

the butcher

waeberd

Portal Pro
August 16, 2004
Fribourg (CH)
mPod said:
Guys, if you really think the devs of HTPC programs will stick together and build a perfect HTPC application, you can also dream that Microsoft and Apple will stick together [...]

Seconded, mPod!

Another thought:

For most freeware products who went commercial, you could never get the source code!

MP is different here, anyone can compile his own MP release anytime, and this difference
gives me a certain guarantee that my work -

be it as a coder, chat-supporter, forum-supporter, tester, wiki-documentation-writer, skinner,
web-page-maintainer, translator.... <put in all the MP functions here> -

will not be used by another guy to earn money.

This is a huge motivation for me! I can be really part of the community!

That's why I'm here and that's why I'm sacrifying hours for MP (even if my
work is only a very small contribution compared to the huge work the chiefs are
doing for MP).

All of the freeware products going commercial (with a long-build
user-community that makes the product better and better) will face the problem that
users won't work as much for the bought product as before. So the company slowly has
to find (and pay!) people who build a team that produces at least the same quality work.

This is tough in the long term and this gets very expensive!

So: long live MP! :D

Regards,

Daniel - who sounded like a priest here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom