GPU decoding (1 Viewer)

bcdudley

Portal Member
January 29, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get smooth 4k playback. When I try to play back 4k video, my cpu is going to 100% and causing the video to stutter. I can play the video back in MPC-HC and it will play reasonably smooth, however the cpu runs at 95% - 100% with the gpu running at 25% - 30%. If I play the same video in MP, cpu stays at 100% and gpu runs at around 15%.
My rig is currently an Intel Core 2 Q9400 with an ATI All-In-wonder HD (Radeon 3650). It has 4Gb of ram.
I have been playing around with the settings and have been able to get the video fairly smooth in MPC-HC. It has an occasional drop and stutter.
My question is... Should my system be up to spec for playing 4k video, or is it time for some upgrades? Are therre any further codecs that will allow me to get some better performance?
If it is time for an upgrade, will a new video card suffice, or should I be looking at a completely new cpu, mb, memory setup.
Over the weekend, I picked up a Radeon R5 230, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am also considering an I5 processor with a MB with integrated 4k graphics.
If I need to upload screenshots or logs, let me know and I can upload them.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom