GPU mem issues (1 Viewer)

Swede

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
West Coast Archipelago
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
With 0.7.1 you have put the png's directly in the media folder instead of in a subfolder. This makes the texturethingie put it all in gpu memory, (cache) wich will reduce videomemory by 64Mb (2x32Mb cache texture png's). If you run out of videomem, several dxerrors, mouselag, slow skin responce and other shit will happen.

In the older versions, the textures were put in a subfolder, and I think that is the way to go safely.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The purpose of placing skin artwork in a subfolder is not and was never meant to be a hack or work around for the way MediaPortal handles textures. The generic skin is meant to work with any skin, so we have a special subfolder to ensure no artwork files are overwritten. This behavior has not changed and the latest version of the generic skin still works this way.

So because of that I am assuming you are referring to the Blue3wide skin? Because the Blue3wide skin files that are distributed with Moving Pictures are meant to work with the rest of the skin, and because we already know what files are already there, the sub folder is not necessary. It has nothing to do with how artwork is loaded.

Swede

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
West Coast Archipelago
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Yes, I'm refering to the Blue3wide, and I don't mean that what you do is wrong BUT when the files are in a sub folder, 64Mb less GPU memory is used because the files are not put in 2048x2048=32Mb gpu mem cache files, so if people complain about lagginess and so forth, you can recommend them to delete the extra Blue3wide files and try the generic skin. If they don't delete the extra Blue3wide files, they will end up wasting gpu mem anyway since everything in the media folder (exept sub folders) is put in gpu memory when MP starts.

I'm trying to convince the crew that this might do more harm than good for most users, and to at least make an option in the config, to use the gpu cache or not. More testing needs to be done. I wish someone could make a core that doesn't use the texture manager at start up.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/blue3-skin-feedback-293/do-we-really-need-packed-textures-55616/

Edit: I'we made a little hack for people that have trouble with low video mem issues:
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Skins/Tools/StutterfixforweakGPU's/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom