GPU recommendation for Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H and Antec Fusion NSK 2400 (1 Viewer)

jet70

Portal Pro
March 7, 2009
Home Country
England England
Hi there,

I have an Athlon x2 5600+ CPU, and Antec Fusion case NSK2400 380W and am interested in considering upgrading to a dedicated GPU. A lot of people on this forum seem to have the bigger brother to this case with the inbuilt LED display - the case dimensions however are the same.

The PC is working really very well, but I am finding occasionally that I get the odd frame skip on HiDef mkvs and that a dedicated GPU might eradicate this problem given that this is rather infrequent.

Having gotten familiar with ATI, I would prefer to stick with it.

My concern is not so much the card, but whether it will fit. The passive cards look to have quite a large heatsink.

I will not be playing any games and was considering an ATI 4550/4650/4670.

My motherboard's 2 PCI slots are filled with a NOVA T 500 TV card and a wireless PCI card. Oh, and I'm running Vista Ultimate if that is a factor.

I also have a mini Scythe heatsink (which is not so mini!).

I use HDMI to connect to my television.

Anyone have similar hardware who can recommend a passive card which they know will fit?

Thank you very much.

jet70

Portal Pro
March 7, 2009
Home Country
England England
They both look good. In your opinion, is it worth paying the extra for the Gigabyte?

Would there be some slight improvement in performance even when using a CPU centric codec like COREAVC?

Thank you for your recommendations.

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    well only difference between cards is 4350 has 100mhz slower memory which you wont really notice playing video's although i have played need for speed undercover on very high gfx settings and didnt notice anything

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i thought i've read something that the 4350 does not support everything or that the quality is not as good as with the 4550 - but i don't remember where i read this... so don't count on this.

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    i thought i've read something that the 4350 does not support everything or that the quality is not as good as with the 4550 - but i don't remember where i read this... so don't count on this.

any chance you could locate that article make an interesting read

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    here some gpu-z shots of both my cards

decide for your selfs :D

Attachments

• 4350.jpg
      4350.jpg
      62.9 KB
    • 4550.png
      4550.png
      13 KB

jet70

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    thanks for this Happy. I see you are using Catalyst 9.4.

For some weird reason, 9.3 and 9.4 give me washed out playback in the Mediaportal player i.e. grey blacks for both mkv's and avi files with my integrated HD3200.

I take it you don't experience this? Do you use the inbuilt player in Mediaportal?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom