GPU recommendation for Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H and Antec Fusion NSK 2400 (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The 4550 uses GDDR3 RAM, hence it has twice the memory bandwidth of the 4350 (you can see this the GPU-Z shots above). Certainly when the cards came out this meant that the 4550 had better HD de-interlacing support than the 4350, but driver updates since then may have changed this.

Tony

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    + 1 for 4550. I have this card (the gigabyte, passive) and its great! Reasonably narrow too so should fit ok....

jet70

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks everyone.

Am having one last play with codecs and if I can't get anywhere, will plump for a 4550.

Unfortunately Happy, I am using SAF. I seem to be unlucky in that I am experiencing quite a few of the issues that some are finding outstanding with Mediaportal at the moment.

If I get round one, I seem to be affected by another!

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone.

Am having one last play with codecs and if I can't get anywhere, will plump for a 4550.

Unfortunately Happy, I am using SAF. I seem to be unlucky in that I am experiencing quite a few of the issues that some are finding outstanding with Mediaportal at the moment.

If I get round one, I seem to be affected by another!
    There really should be no problem with 1080p for the 3200 HD, it is more likely that the codec used in the SAF is not a stable version that causes problems. Only if you receive 1080i TV (i.e. BBC HD, ITV HD, Luxe TV HD) is it necessary to upgrade to get better deinterlacing, although there is a workaround with ffdshow described in my post here, with the downside of high CPU use. With Vista and Windows 7 you should also disable aero as described in that link.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No need to buy new gfx card to replace the HD3200. Just increase the HT frequency in the bios. The HT frequency is the highway between the HD3200 and the RAM. Since you have AM2+ CPU the HT=1000Mhz. (If you have Phenom CPU it's 1800Mhz ie faster, that is why hd3200+phenom cpu does better deinterlacing). That's why 780G motherboard with X2 CPU is a bit stuttery. I increased the HT to 1375Mhz and it made a big difference to 1080i, which is why I'm glad I didn't buy a new gfx card. Increasing the HT frequency requires overclocking the FSB speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom