Grafikcard with best picture quality (1 Viewer)

Mr. Bean

Portal Pro
June 21, 2005
Germany
Hello,

My HTPC has been finished, and MediaPortal was installed. But there was no Picture seen from my Haupauge PVR250. With his own software, all was fine. So, I asked in the HTPC-Forum and they told me, my Matrox P650 is incompatible with MP. So I sold it and now I want to by a new Card. The important thing for the first time ist the TV-Out of the card, because the HTPC is only installed on a TV. I must have sharp picture quality for using internet and so one. The next thing is, that there must be a funktion at the driver, where I can adjust the picture to the TV. I must have full screen picture on the TV. The card must run under 720x576 (TV) and 1280x720 (LCD). The LCD will installed later.

Can you help me for that problem?

Does somebody know the Volari V8?

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/xgi/volariv8/mainstream_p1.htm

Image quality :

Like most cards, both the Volari V8 and the Deltachrome S8 support dual display and feature TV-out in standard. Also, both are able to display HDTV 1080p images for the best TV pictures possible. 2D image quality wass exceptionally good on both cards, as is video overlay and multi-display capabilities.

That said, the Volari V8 TV-Out seemed far better than the one used in the Deltachrome S8. Texts were surprisingly clear and sharp using the V8's TV-Out. The V8 natively supports HDTV output as the TV-Out is able to output in HDTV resolutions.

Solid budget gaming card
• Excellent HTPC capabilities:
• Outputs 1080i HDTV
• Hardware MPEG-2 decoder built in
• Hardware DirectX 9 support
• Sharp TV-out image quality

Is this true?

Thank you for your help!

Andreas

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Posted in the wrong area dude, I have moved it... also if you search the forum you'll see many debate on this subject.

The dev team likes Nvidia cards (FX5200 or better should do you just fine)

DMAN

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No reasons not to recommend the ATIs, too. They traditionally had the better TV-Out quality and do overscan by original drivers. If your skilled with an soldering iron you could even make a scart-RGB cable to hook up the TV. This will provide by far the best picture.
    The cheap Radeon 9600 are often passive cooled and should do well.

If you want to go for nvidia and plan on gaming via the htpc then watch for a 6600GT as they have component output cables which are better than S-Video. Finally they do mpeg acceleration in hardware pretty well if you thought about HDTV..

Mr. Bean

Portal Pro
    June 21, 2005
    Germany
    Sorry that I've posted in the wrong area .....

So I will read in ohter postings!

But, there is still a question: Does somebody know the Volari V8?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It DirectX 9 compatible so should work AOK - I don't know about TV-Out though.

DMAN

Mr. Bean

Portal Pro
    June 21, 2005
    Germany
    If you want to go for nvidia and plan on gaming via the htpc then watch for a 6600GT as they have component output cables which are better than S-Video. Finally they do mpeg acceleration in hardware pretty well if you thought about HDTV..

I have a fx5200 here in my InternetPC wich is connected to a TV. De picture quality is bad :( But is connected by composite :oops:

Is the Quality of the new 6200 (AGP) better than the 5200? has somebody seen the Quality?

Should I take better the 9600pro, the 9600xt or the 6200 or 6600?

The HTPC for the first is connected to an TV. Later I will install a LCD TV with 1280 x 768 resulution (HDTV)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Never ever use composite ;)

It is hard to give general recommendations as even two identical cards can differ in quality..

Best would be to find a dealer who allows you to return the card. Personally I'd go for ATI if it depends on TV-out

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom