Graphics card selection HD3450 v HD3650 (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Revs,
    I agree the 3450 is a great value card (and to be honest if I could have got the audio thing over hdmi sorted I would probably have just stayed with it). The thing that did surprise me though was the temperature thing. I was expecting that the more powerful card would run hotter (especially hotter than the passively cooled 3450 I had)...

By the way what sort of tweaks did you end up using to improve the quality?

Andy

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Well I had a truly terrible image, I think it was due to the denoise/edge enhancement settinggs ATI use. Unfortunately something is wrong with my system and these settings did not show.

The registry tweaks I did were from this site:ATI HD Registry Tweaks

note that they also apply to the 3650. There is a huge thread on AVSforum discussing it all.

I am quite happy that SPDIF/5.1 is fine for me, makes things a lot easier without HDMI audio.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mhm i've a 2600XT and also using the Tweaks but the Image is not as good as i image - I've some distortion/noise in the picture and the bottom (1cm) of the picture is running behind the rest.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Could you please tell me, which options you changed?

You have to set the option "cool&quiet" in the bios to disabled.

Where is the option depends of the bios of the motherboard but it should not be difficult to find it.

Well I had a truly terrible image, I think it was due to the denoise/edge enhancement settinggs ATI use. Unfortunately something is wrong with my system and these settings did not show.

The registry tweaks I did were from this site:ATI HD Registry Tweaks

note that they also apply to the 3650. There is a huge thread on AVSforum discussing it all.

I am quite happy that SPDIF/5.1 is fine for me, makes things a lot easier without HDMI audio.

Actually the denoise option is available only under vista where you have to enable it and se to 0 (otherwise it will default to 64).

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Mhm i've a 2600XT and also using the Tweaks but the Image is not as good as i image - I've some distortion/noise in the picture and the bottom (1cm) of the picture is running behind the rest.

This tweak does not work for me under vista try to go to CCC - avivo options - all options, enable denoise and set it to 0.

What do you mean behind the rest, tearing?

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've deactivated cool&quit but that does not help.

> What do you mean behind the rest, tearing?
    In the bottom of the TV / Picture (1cm) of the Picture is running behind the rest - about 1/2 second or one second. So the picture comes later in the bottom as the rest.

OK - now also changed the denoise one but both does not help :-(

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Try to enable Aero if not enabled. This will probably solve your tearing problems.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Aero is enabled (i've activated the vista theme - then aero is enabled isn't it?)

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Aero is enabled (i've activated the vista theme - then aero is enabled isn't it?)

If you have animations when you open windows yes.

The theme is vista aero if I remember well.

Do you have this problem with any codec?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom