Great software!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
February 7, 2006
Halmstad
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
This software is just very GOOOOD!!!!

Everything just works (after som tricky tinkering here and there of cource) and I'm very pleased with all the effort put in to this project.

I have installed it on three of my computers at home right now and my not so technically inclined girlfriend is begining to find it usable to... and that is a very good grade I shoud tell you.

In a week or so I will have a fourth PC running MediaPortal as its basic Shell for the operating system. (Not a Shell per see, but anyway very nice together with BootSkin so no windows logos will show even during bootup, only a MediaPortal picture :) )

Of cource there is potential to be even more stable, but right now my setup is rather stable on all mashines, though one of my computers can get a bluescreen and reboot whe timeshifting somtimes, but not very often (might be a bad disk or memory issue). Most of the time this happens when my girlfriend is stressing the interface and shifting from the EPG and different channels.

Now, is there any thought of making the program into a server variant in the future where you could use a central MediaPortal server with clients. The server would provide with a central database and even be your file server perhaps, it could also stream TV to PCs without a TV tuner card???

I think this will be more and more important as people put a HTPC with every TV/screen in the house.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is very good 8)

Server/Client has always been a feature request and it will happen - one day. Right now it's a case of getting it to a point where it functions fantastically well as a standalone program - remember we're still only at a 0.2 release candidate!

There was work happening on TV streaming not that long ago, so things are always happening.

raptor

Portal Member
    February 8, 2006
    Yeah a big well done to all involved, this is a great piece of software which is constantly improving! :D

I did have a few annoying stuttering problems in 0.2 rc2 with the osd (i think) but that has now gone once i finally decided to give a recent cvs a go!

Thanks! :wink:

nicknero

Portal Member
    February 4, 2006
    Jorgen_CAB said:
    This software is just very GOOOOD!!!!

Everything just works (after som tricky tinkering here and there of cource) and I'm very pleased with all the effort put in to this project.

I have installed it on three of my computers at home right now and my not so technically inclined girlfriend is begining to find it usable to... and that is a very good grade I shoud tell you.

In a week or so I will have a fourth PC running MediaPortal as its basic Shell for the operating system. (Not a Shell per see, but anyway very nice together with BootSkin so no windows logos will show even during bootup, only a MediaPortal picture :) )

Of cource there is potential to be even more stable, but right now my setup is rather stable on all mashines, though one of my computers can get a bluescreen and reboot whe timeshifting somtimes, but not very often (might be a bad disk or memory issue). Most of the time this happens when my girlfriend is stressing the interface and shifting from the EPG and different channels.

Now, is there any thought of making the program into a server variant in the future where you could use a central MediaPortal server with clients. The server would provide with a central database and even be your file server perhaps, it could also stream TV to PCs without a TV tuner card???

I think this will be more and more important as people put a HTPC with every TV/screen in the house.

Not a server/client solution but I would suggest you get yourself a NAS unit, like Buffalo Linkstation. With four machines running you´ll at least get one central point for all your media. You may also wanna add an external HDD to mirror the NAS as an easy back-up. Costs a bit but then again, with a four machine set up I wouldn´t think money´s your problem. Hope this can help.

THX
    NickNero

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    That is exactly right, I have one older PC running as a fileserver with virtual server i have a second PC running as an application PC/server with Windows XP.
    A Laptop with a brooken screen as my Domain Controler and Virtual Server that runs a WebServer on that one. The fileserver I turn of when I don't need it to save some money on my energy bill...

Did I mention I'm workingn as an infrastructure IT-Engineer... and my home is my testlab for many different things... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom