Group movies? (1 Viewer)

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello,

I know there are some threads, but these are old, and I am not sure if these threads are the latest.
So I am using Moving Picture with default settings. Everything works just perfect and I really like this Tool.
But I have a lot of Collections like James Bond or Hangover. How can I group these movies?
It would be great that a collection would be appear as one cover, get inside and see then the whole collection with cover pictures to choose. Is that possible with Moving Pictures? I saw that there is another plugin called IMDB+ is it still up to date? I really need it?

thanks

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

If you go to the Moving Pictures Configuration tool (outside of the MediaPortal GUI) go to the GUI settings tab and tick organise movies by category, then click on Define Movie Categories. This is where you can organise your filters and groups.

For me, I have all my James Bond films in a separate folder on my File server in the bedroom, so I use 'full path' 'begins with' ''\\Bedroom\James Bond' and all the James Bond films are then grouped within that category.

I also use IMDB+, it is an advanced scraper, I am afraid that I don't have the technical knowledge to explain how it works, but movie matches got better once I started using it.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,
    ok, got it, but its really advanced stuff. I tried a lot of filters, but is there not an easier way? I mean I wanted to have it like you. Like this:

C:\movies
    C:\movies\hangover\ -> all movies without subfolders
    C:\movies\jamesbond\ -> movies....

but which rules or filter do I have to use? There is a path filer, but always directly to the movie.

thanks

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    You can type over the filters to shorten it to eg c:\movies\jamesbond

But.. I am wondering if the path filter will work correctly for you if you have all of your movies stored in subfolders of a main 'movies' folder, a different filter may be more appropriate.

To do it the same way as me, with the path filter, you may need to separate out the folders, so they are not embedded.
    Something like this...

C:\film queue
    C:\watched films
    C:\jamesbond
    etc...

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    No dont want to overwrite Filter with a path.
    Ok, as for now I made a node and gave it a name like James Bond. I didn't create or modify any filter, and just put one movie step by step inside on the field down "always include this movie". So it works, but for sure it is a lot of work..:)

I tried doing it as you did, but it doesn't work. Which Menu Item do you create at first? Collection?
    And then if I try the full path filter, I can always choose one movie, but not say each movie which is inside this movie.

I have it like you folder structure.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    I must admit, I am not 100% sure on your question, and I am certainly no expert in this, I have figured out a way to make it work for me, and not really delved much further into it's capabilities. I have taken some screenshots of how mine is set up, hopefully that will help a bit. If not, you may need to wait for someone cleverer to come along and help :confused:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Clever guys are @RoChess and @ltfearme and I'm sure they're on the way :)
    This feature called Collection and it should be possible for supported scrappers such as TMBD and probably IMDB. I think it implements through special collections view.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    IMDb+ is still up-to-date, albeit I have fallen a little bit behind.

It supports custom lists, so it is easy to correct any slag on my end, or adjust it to the way you prefer.

IMDb+ has full support for Moving-Pictures 'Collections', and also adds some custom ones such as "IMDb Top 250" or "Oscars for Best Picture"

The real power is in renaming the titles during import, so that movie series are also grouped indirectly in all other areas of Moving-Pictures, and more importantly they show in sequential order (so "Dr. No" is listed before "A View to a Kill"). There are over 2000 entries in the default rename database, which you can view at: http://code.google.com/p/imdbplus/source/browse/trunk/Rename%20dBase%20IMDb%2B%20Scraper.xml

Last time I updated that was June 6th, but I sometimes add entries for movies that won't come out till 2 or 3 years from now, and it is not like movie series come out that often.

The plugin that installs IMDb+ needs a serious update, but I keep not finding the time to do so. It still works, you just have to install the current version, and then launch MediaPortal GUI so that the IMDb+ plugin can auto-update the IMDb+ scraper-script to the recent v4.9.39 (September 11th 2014 update to fix IMDb Top 250 issue). Also be sure to read the wiki pages on how to convert your existing collection via the IMDb+ plugin.

If you need more help, hop on IRC freenode servers, or ask in the IMDb+ forum thread.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello,

thanks for detailed description. Finally it works for me, and with just one root folder. I just made a node, and inside another one, so the first node become a folder without function. The rest nodes are then the collections. and the full path filter with "begins with" made the rest. It looks like this now:

C:\Movies\
    C:\Movies\James Bond
    C:\Movies\Hangover
    and so on....

I did everything without IMDb+, coz the importer works fine for me.

thanks for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom