GUI Freeze after resume from standby (1 Viewer)

chrisonline

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2007
    Tirol/Wörgl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Sometimes after resume from standby the GUI is frozen.
    Windows works, and the Taskbar is over the GUI. Only a task kill works.

Attached the logs, but I didn't find anything in the logs.
    Can anybody help?

Resume was today on 18:34

Using Windows 10 64bit, MediaPortal 1.13

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sure, I can try to help. :)

The last part of the log section is important:
    [collapse]
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,232] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC)
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,232] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Resuming automatic operation
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: OnResumeAutomatic - reopen Database
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: VideoDatabaseV5.db3 sqllite database disk cache activated.
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: OnResumeAutomatic - Done
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - PS: RESUMEAUTOMATIC
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - PS: System has resumed from standby
    [2015-12-30 18:27:14,248] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - PS: Run external command[/collapse]

Two points about this...
    1. This "WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC)" message (which comes from Windows) without the presence of another "WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND)" message (which is the message that is expected when a user wakes the system) tells me that either:
    • the "WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND)" message was not yet received, OR...
    • the system resume was not triggered by user input

2. The display/screen was turned off on standby, and it appears to stay off during resume:
    [2015-12-30 12:14:09,745] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_POWERSETTINGCHANGE)
    [2015-12-30 12:14:09,745] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: The display is off

As a result of these two points, MediaPortal's GUI will remain unresponsive intentionally. The reason MP doesn't activate the GUI is that it is considered pointless if the screen is off and nobody is present. So, this is the explanation of why the GUI is "frozen".

If somebody did not wake the system (ie. system woke automatically for recording or EPG grabbing etc.) then what you are seeing should be considered normal behaviour. However, in this case I understand that somebody did wake the system. Therefore we have to discover why the "WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND)" message to activate the GUI was never received.

Start by looking at the last entry in the log on the MPMain thread. It relates to the PowerScheduler plugin. Therefore we can say that the PS plugin could be blocking resume from continuing, and we should check the PS plugin code.

Here is the relevant code:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...SchedulerClientPlugin/PowerScheduler.cs#L1338

From this we can see that it looks like the PS plugin has become stuck - either temporarily or permanently - in running an external command or registering with TV Server (RegisterToRemotePowerScheduler()), and that is probably the cause of your problem. The point is that we see the 'PS: Run external command' message in the log, but we do not see the next expected 'PS: Signal "Resume" to the StandbyWakeupThread' message.

According to your configuration you have not configured PS to run external commands. Therefore the cause of the problem seems likely to be the registration with TV Server. From the TV Server log I can see that TV Server had not finished resuming. It was still busy preloading your Cinergy 1200 tuner and had not yet started the server-side PS plugin. Since the server-side PS plugin was not started, it would have been impossible for MP's PS plugin to register. MP must wait until TV Server finishes resuming before the GUI can be activated/unfrozen.

In other words, the overall summary of all analysis is: MP was not frozen. MP's PS plugin was waiting for TV Server to finish resuming so it could register with the server-side PS plugin. On your system TV Server will take 10 seconds or more to resume because you've configured:
    1. PS to restart the TV service on resume.
    2. Tuner detection to be delayed for 3 seconds.
    3. Your tuners to be preloaded.
    You must be patient and wait for all of this to complete before the MP GUI will activate.

There is a possibility that TV Server is frozen while trying to load your Cinergy 1200 tuner. In that case a solution may be:
    • to disable preloading for that tuner
    • increase the tuner detection delay
    • get a new tuner that doesn't have problems with suspend/resume

Regards,
    mm

pdiaz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm having a similar problem where the GUI is sometimes unresponsive after resume from standby. I can hear the navigation sounds as I press the buttons on my MCE remote but the GUI doesn't change and the time on the GUI remains stuck on some time in the past. The only fix is to kill MP which I do via a remote button that has that action mapped using IRSS.

Sometimes the PC is already awake (to record a scheduled program) and the GUI is frozen when I turn on my TV and switch inputs to the PC. This was the case with the logs I have attached where I think MP woke up to record something at 15:00 and I turned on the TV to watch a movie on MP at 15:12.

I've had this problem for a few years and happens as often as a few times a day to few times a week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom