Guide: *How to Build a Silent HTPC* (1 Viewer)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes that is correct. If you want to stress test a GPU from a HTPC / video playback perspective, run 1080i H.264 through it. Everybody talks about 1080p playback, but most live HDTV is 1080i, either MPEG 2 or H.264. It is the de-interlacing (plus other post processing like edge smoothing and noise reduction) that will stress the GPU.

Jelmo, did you try using a DXVA codec? I saw some stuff on Doom 9 that DXVA on Core i3 was a problem.

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Guide: *How to Build a Silent HTPC*

I explained in my other posts that i have tested several codecs without any good results.
    Only one thing gave me a better performance = Overclocking GPU.
    But because i´m using a HFX mini without any fans i don´t want to work with a overclocked CPU/GPU only to watch 1080i matterial. So i decided to buy a dedicated passive GT430 from Sparkle. Now everything is fine and my CPU isn´t overclocked yet.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Currently building a new HTPC with the Streacom FC5 chassis, and I must say I love having a silent HTPC. Still in "beta-stage" so more info to come:

fc5-b-025-025.jpg

http://www.streacom.com/products/fc5-od-fanless-chassis/

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I have just built a new client using one of those cases (actually its the slotless version).

Nice case, except I can not get the remote to work properly - usual MePo problems with MCE clones :(

J.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have just built a new client using one of those cases (actually its the slotless version).

Nice case, except I can not get the remote to work properly - usual MePo problems with MCE clones :(

J.

Well, if the team were to get hold of one of those clone remotes, I am sure they could fix the problems. We need to know who makes them and get them to send samples. It is in their interest to make it work.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have several clones (about 4) which all claim to be MCE/RC6 compatible. Some have issues where they dont wake the PC (not a MePo issue, more like a receiver/USB issue), others where certain keys dont register (either the receiver appears as a HID device and not an eHome receiver, or it does appear as a eHome device).

I have found dealing with remotes to be the most fustrating (and often unsolvable) aspect of MePo (even more so than stuttering!) :O

I am happy to send the remotes/receivers to someone if I know they will work on the issues...

J.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I am happy to send the remotes/receivers to someone if I know they will work on the issues...

J.

I will find out who on the team is best to help. Hopefully if you can send someone a remote that has problems, they can work out what is wrong and take it from there.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @etheesdad

Add this to your guide

5x fan resistor $2.08 USD incl Worldwide P&P
    sku_35818_1.jpg

http://dx.com/p/3-pin-pc-cooling-fan-speed-noise-reduction-cable-5-piece-set-35818

Variable fan speed controller $2.49 USD incl Worldwide P&P
    sku_21320_3.jpg

http://dx.com/p/12w-variable-speed-controller-for-pc-cooling-fans-21320

Most of HTPC noise is related to fans, provides very cheap and easy way of slowing down the fans, especially the first item will slow fans for only $0.40 per fan (or $.80 if you use 2 resistors on each fan)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom