Guide to upgrading from MP1 to MP2? (1 Viewer)

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    My apologies if this is not the right forum for this question or if it has been asked recently. However, I did search, and the only thing post that I see that might be relevant to my question was posted in 2012.

I am running MP 1.14.0. I am considering an upgrade to MP2. It sounds like this should be a relatively simple task as the TV Server is the same. Are there any specific guides as to how to do the upgrade? Even a simple set of steps would be great to have.

Thanks in advance!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi wiyosaya,

There is actually no direct upgrade - you need to install MP2 from scratch, which sounds more complicated than it is. There is a step-to-step description but unfortunately it is in German.

Unless you have extensive proprietary movie and series information (other than standard), you can install MP2 in parallel to your existing MP1 installation:
    • Export your TV channels from MP1 TVService
    • Stop MP1 TVServer service!
    • Install MP2
    • Configure the TVServer part
      • While the software is the same as for MP1, the database is not.
      • You can nonetheless simply import your channels using the export fomr the first step, which is a great time saver
      • Reconfigure EPG
    • Launch the MP2 client
      • Note that there is no separate MP2 cient configuration like for MP1 everything is set up from within MP2
      • Define your shares - MP2 will automatically download movies and series information
    Select your skin - again from within MP2 - and give it a try. If you are not happy you can simply stop the MP2 server (or completely uninstall) and restart the MP1 TVServer to return to your initial state.

Note that the current choice of plugins for MP2 is limited when compared to MP1, but likely to catch upo quickly. MP2 comes with TV logos and OnlineVideos, which covers most of the standard requirements.

Regards,
    HTPCSourcer

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply, HTPCSourcer. It is helpful.

So it sounds like with a parallel installation of MP2 I would be able to do the following:
    1. Keep our existing MP1 recordings that have not been watched and watch them using MP1 by stopping the MP2 TV Service (and MP2 Client) and then Starting the MP1 TV Service (and MP1 client). My installation is a client/server installation.
    2. Transition all our recordings to MP2. Is there a way to export Schedules from the MP1 TV Service? That would save a lot of time.
    The plug-ins are not a big issue for me. I got rid of all the ones that we rarely use. We also do not have proprietary movie or series information, so that should be no big deal.

Thanks again!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The logic to manage recordings is the same in MP2. Hence moving/copying the MP1 recorded shows to the respective MP2 folder and importing them from within the MP2 TVServer config should be enough to make them available in parallel. This way there would be no need to switch between MP2 and MP1.

Regarding schedules you can export ALL TVServer settings under MP1 and reimport them under MP2, which shouils restore your schedules too.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Awesome! Thank you! Your reply is very helpful. :D

I will not have the time to update until mid June since I am going out of town soon, however, I will get back to this thread and post my results when I do upgrade.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A new weekly build might be available by then. New features and bug fixes get regularly added. Take a look at the respective MP2 forum section to check about progress. Note that you always install a weekly build over the standard MP2 as a normal update operation.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    I finally got to upgrading to the most current weekly build of MP2.

I exported "all" from MP1 TV server, and imported "all" into MP2 TV server. Everything was there - settings, schedules, channels, plugin configuration such as power scheduler were all there. The only thing that I had to do was to reconfigure the channel mappings for XMLTV and then reimport the EPG data.

I then imported all my recordings. Everything, so far, seems to be working properly.

Although it took about two hours for me to do everything, the upgrade from MP 1.15 to MP2 was almost trivial in nature when using the instructions provided in this thread.

fyx

Portal Member
    March 28, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    awesome,
    im thinking of doing this upgrade too, do you think its 'better' ? We have pretty simple needs, just record some shows, watch live tv, and have series/movies for the kids

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I
    awesome,
    im thinking of doing this upgrade too, do you think its 'better' ? We have pretty simple needs, just record some shows, watch live tv, and have series/movies for the kids
    I recommend to wait a bit until MP2.1 is out. It'll bring much more features and is not compatible with older versions. So you can safe your time to configure things two times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom