H/W Decoding of DivX and Xvid? (1 Viewer)

Zasurus

Portal Pro
November 14, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have been searching the net and here for hours now and can't work out what is what? Is it posible to decode DIVX and XVID etc with hardware like Nvidia gfx cards? or anything else so I don't need to upgrade my PC to play 1080p divx and xvid?

I have a "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS" at the moment in my main PC. Will this do it? If I put it in my media PC and get a new one for my Main PC? :confused:

:D

Zas

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I don't think it's possible to decode x263 in hardware. Modern GPUs only support hardware decoding of MPEG2, h.264 and VC-1 material.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS" at the moment in my main PC. Will this do it

With that much horsepower under the belt, i think the last thing you need to worry about "is if it can handle it", just hope the background noise from the fans doe not drown out the sound :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    As mentioned above here, unless you're not looking to upgrade the board in your main computer, it would be wiser to buy a cheaper card like Nvidia 8500/8600GT or AMD 3450/3650 (or the upcomming equalents in the 4xxx series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom