porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I use Handbrake to encode recorded files from .ts to .m4v. This can be a lengthy process to load each file into the encode queue.

I came across this Batch Encoder ( http://videoscripts.wordpress.com/downloads/ ) and it works very well indeed. It is easy to use and there are a number of different options available to keep your video files tidy and well ordered. I currently use the batch encoder to process my recorded movies. After each successful encode, it moves the original file to a different drive whilst keeping the converted file in the folder that MovingPictures is pointing at.

There is also a Watch Folder GUI that works with Handbrake, although I haven't used this yet - I eventually gave up on MCE Buddy as it kept failing to watch the folder I pointed it at. This may be a simpler solution.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Nice :)
    I always missed the batch-function in HandBrake, can't believe thay didn't add that yet o_O

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ooh...and an autorip script on that page too. Been looking for something like that for yonks.

Thanks Porky you beauty!

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Just a bit of an update. I have been running the batch encoder for over 24 hours now on my single seat/server. I selected the option in the GUI of Handbrake 'low priority' which means I can leave the batch encoder running in the background and still watch live TV etc without the picture getting pixelated. I could never do this with Handbrake on its own as it always hogged the CPU @ 99% power.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I have been using the batch encoder for a few weeks now, since posting the above and it works really well.

For those who have used it, you will be aware that it uses a Handbrake script in the main GUI which contains the settings for encoding. This works fine for SD recordings, but I do have a problem with HD recordings. On UK HD transmissions there are usually two audio tracks, one track is the general soundtrack and the other is a narrative track of what is happening on screen for the visually impaired. What seems to be happening with my HD .ts recordings is the two audio tracks are being merged into one.

Is it possible to add detail to the script so Handbrake either keeps the two tracks seperate, or discards the one with the narrative?

BTW - This is the script setting I use - I'm no expert on this and there is possibly some stuff in there that I don't need, however, it works well and does exactly what I need except for HD audio channels

-f mp4 --strict-anamorphic -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 128 -D 0.0 -m -x ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 --verbose=1 -O -O -O -O -O -O

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

olli14

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi porky996t,
    I was searching for a transcoding freeware that's working in the background and found "watch folder handbrake". I have tested for a few days with different settings but the settings didn't fit my wishes. Now I have found your settings and they seem to work great on my side.
    So thank you.

olli14

olli14

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tested a little bit more with the settings of "watch folder handbrake". These are my settings:
    -f mp4 --strict-anamorphic -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E copy:ac3 -R Auto -B 128 -D 0.0 -m -x ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 --verbose=1 -O -O -O -O -O -O
    With these settings the video will be converted to h264 and the audio is left untouched.

olli14

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I really love this "watch folder handbrake". It's great. But: some of my transcoded video files weren't running well. The issue I seemed to have: some transcoded video files had a frame rate of e.g. 24,2 Hz. The result: I had stuttering. In another thread in this awesome forum I posted my issue and someone helped me.I had to add a parameter "-r 25". With this parameter set to "-r 25" you have a frame rate of 25 Hz. The next weeks or month I will test further more but I think that this has been the issue. Furthermore I added a parameter "--decomb". It is a filter to get better results when converting from interlaced to progressiv video.
    SO my settings are:
    -f mp4 --strict-anamorphic -e x264 -q 23 -r 25 --decomb -a 1 -E copy:ac3 -R Auto -B 128 -D 0.0 -m -x ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 --verbose=1 -O -O -O -O -O -O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom