Handling DTS / AC3 Music Files (1 Viewer)

phunqe

Portal Pro
April 28, 2007
I don't know if anybody cares about this anylonger, but the BASS player still can't play .dts audio files.

It would seem like an easy job just to feed it to AC3Filter or just pass it through to S/PDIF?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    go for it if it is so easy. :)
    the previous post explains how to do it with ASIO.
    That's the solution that we have currently.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't know if anybody cares about this anylonger, but the BASS player still can't play .dts audio files.

It would seem like an easy job just to feed it to AC3Filter or just pass it through to S/PDIF?

It is still working for me, have collected a fair amout of .DTS audio since that last post and bar a couple odd downloaded albums everything plays fine.

You dont say much about the setup you have, do just want to pass the .dts stream directly to you amp for decoding?

Trevor

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    Thank for the answer, I missed your last post about it working, but I still don't understand how? You don't mention anything how you made it work.

There is a link in this thread to https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/bass_player_asio_support-t13552p8.html but that only covers DTS in WAV format as far as I can tell (and a reference back to this thread).

Did you just add .dts as a music extension, used ASIO and then played them? If I do that and try to play .dts files I sometimes get a small click out of my receiver, but nothing more. The file doesn't start playing.

My setup is:

MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal-svn--07-20-2007--00-59-Rev15263
    MediaPortal Skin: ReVision 1.1.3
    Windows Version: Windows XP Professional SP2
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    Memory: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X6400C4D 2048MB
    Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO, Q965, Socket-775, m-ATX,
    Motherboard Chipset: Q965
    Video Card: Gainward SilentFX 8600GT
    Sound Card: Auzen X-Meridian 7.1
    Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.8

Also note this issue https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/1_4s_white_noise_playing_dts_audio-t25768.html?t=25768 I have with playing DTS audio CDs (mounted through daemon tools).

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    do just want to pass the .dts stream directly to you amp for decoding?

Well i dont' see the point in decoding it if I have a DTS receiver? I just want the music to passthrough. As the thread I linked to above suggest that it works for my DTS Audio CDs, but I have issues with noise in the beginning of each track.
    Playing .dts files doesn't work at all however.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    do just want to pass the .dts stream directly to you amp for decoding?

Well i dont' see the point in decoding it if I have a DTS receiver? I just want the music to passthrough. As the thread I linked to above suggest that it works for my DTS Audio CDs, but I have issues with noise in the beginning of each track.
    Playing .dts files doesn't work at all however.

I have DTS audio in both with both .wav and .dts extentions, though I dont think the extention matters much. I did just add .dts to the file types and made sure I had nothing modifing the stream, my sound card is setup for an output sample rate of 44.1Khz (from what I understand if you sound card cant do this then DTS will never work).

Did not say much about as there really was not much to it, I first proved the DTS audio could be played outside MP, using foobar2000 if I remember correctly - this proved the system was cabable of passing through a DTS stream.

Never had problems with the file not playing, always played but when not working I just got white noise out the amp. I do sometimes get the 1-4s of white noise on some files before decoding kicks in, so things are not perfect.

Just checked my settings

MP Music Setup

BASS engine
    Default Sound Device
    Output level 100
    Fade-in on Start/fade-out on stop ticked

ASIOALL v2.8 beta 2

Buffer size 512 sample
    Latencey Comp 32 for both
    AC97 troubleshooting - Always Resample 44.1KHz <-> 48KHz ticked (seems odd that)

Trevor

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    Trevor,

thanks a bunch for your reply. Your settings are the same as mine, but I use Auzen's own ASIO drivers. I tried ASIO4ALL a while back, but it made my system unstable somehow. I'll try with a new version again.

By the way, if I install latest foobar2000 and the s/pdif passthrough plug-in it works perfectly. Unfortunately this plug'in isn't available for the version MP supports as plug-in (it can read the files, but it decodes them, no passthough mode).

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    Trevor,

By the way, if I install latest foobar2000 and the s/pdif passthrough plug-in it works perfectly. Unfortunately this plug'in isn't available for the version MP supports as plug-in (it can read the files, but it decodes them, no passthough mode).

Well that as least narrows it down to an MP issue, I will have a more in depth check when I get home, I seem to remember I had problems to start with and I adjusted the number AISO buffer samples, cant remember what to though..448 or 441 comes to mind...it all stated working but set it back to 512 and it continued to.....so may well have been nothing to do with it.

Trevor

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    phunqe
    If you can provide me one of your .dts files I will test if it works for me.

Regards,
    Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom